Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Breaking Thread >

Breaking Thread

Breaking Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

If thread is " rotten" - has gotten very weak - how do any of these " treatments" make it durable for the longer term?

I have a small tote full of thread I won' t do permanent sewing with.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I use Sewers Aid that I bought inside JAF (doesn't appear to be online). I ONLY had to use it when sewing with metallic thread. Your thread if it is old, I would toss it. If it is new, I would return the spool to where I bought it from with a sample of what was happening.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
May be a silly reply but try the fridge or freezer then allow to dry slightly before using.the cold may hydrate slightly.
I have heard this technique recommended before. Wouldn't hurt to try.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Sharon Schamber will dip her thread cones in white or pharmaceutical grade mineral oil, let drain for a few minutes, wipe off excess, and use. She teaches this in her classes.

HTH
Wow, that's wild! I'll have to file that bit of info away for later. I wonder how Sharon figured that out!? I'd be scared of oil marks too but sounds like it works fine. Interesting!
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
May be a silly reply but try the fridge or freezer then allow to dry slightly before using.the cold may hydrate slightly.
I've always wondered how this works. Most modern refrigerators and freezers are "frost free", which means they suck the moisture out of the air inside. The only possibility is that when the thread comes out of the freezer, the moisture in the air in the room condenses on it. Why not just spritz it with water?

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If thread is " rotten" - has gotten very weak - how do any of these " treatments" make it durable for the longer term?
The OP didn't say "rotten", she said "dried out". Sharon Schamber's theory is that the thread gets dried out, which makes it brittle, and re-hydrating it with oil restores flexibility.

I suppose we won't really know what's happening unless someone gets a microscope out and does some scientific testing of some kind.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I never have time for so many things, I would just buy new. Depending on how old, I would return to manufacturer and see what happens. I have some old thread but only use for any mending or practice hand stitching. I buy new for my machines.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:17 AM

Is it definately the thread that is snapping or is you machine breaking the thread? This could be a tension problem and not weak thread.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:15 AM

Thanks for the great ideas. I, too, had heard of the freezer option. Might try that.
Also, does Sharon dip the whole spool in the mineral oil?
The thread is several years old and just used for my embroidery machine. I recently had it serviced so hopefully that isn't the problem.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Fredda
Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by sewfriendly View Post
does Sharon dip the whole spool in the mineral oil?
Yes. Dip it, let it sit and drain on a paper bag or something similar for a few minutes, then wipe any excess off with a paper towel.