Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Not buying any new fabric !! >

Not buying any new fabric !!

Not buying any new fabric !!

Old 02-04-2015, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I don't even want to talk about it! My name is Leesa and I am a fabriholic!
Hello Leesa, but I have helped you get rid of some of your fabric; and now I have realized I too am a fabriholic! Any one know where I can buy more time to sew? I can't afford to quit my job.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

I have for years now only bought WHAT I needed and NOT what I wanted. Slowly making progress.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:22 AM

I will not buy more fabric...I will not buy more fabric....unless I really like it.....I will not...
Old 02-04-2015, 06:57 AM

I am in my 3rd year of not purchasing fabric, unless I have to have it to finish a quilt or backing for a qult. Yesterday was the first time I haver been in JAF since August. (Neded borders for a chemo quilt.) Hope to makedo with what I have. Started piecing the backings, so this should help get rid of a lot.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:06 AM

Welcome to quilting!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:03 AM

Thank you, every single one of you for your comments. My closet is only 8 feet wide with 3 shelves but it's full. And then there are the cubicles full too. I told DH that I loved all the FQ's and the scrapes more than I liked the yardage and I believe soon I will give some of it away. I know that I can use the FQ's and the scrapes easier than making a planned quilt and since I love scrape quilts the most, I am very happy with them. I just needed to say how I was feeling about having all these fabric and you all are the best ever to listen to me and to make kind comments. Once again, thank you so much for your encouragement.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:26 AM

My fabric buying has slowed down a LOT lately. I think I've finally reached a saturation point. I have a wall of cabinets full of fabric - no real idea how many yards but I have had to use over 1,300 comic book boards and I have mostly 1 and 2 yard cuts plus 5-6 bolts of solids....so, "lots" is a fair description I think!!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:01 AM

It was very difficult for me, but I reduced my stash by about half last week! I had so much I just knew I'd never get around to using, so it had to go. I put it out there on Facebook and two women jumped at their chance for FREE, yes, FREE fabric! They were both young moms with little extra cash and both had hand-me-down sewing machines. I felt so good sharing my stories with them. I think we shall remain in touch to see what they do with their newly acquired treasure trove of fabrics!
Old 02-04-2015, 09:17 AM

For those of you that have fabric beyond what you want, there are many of us that make charity quilts to donate, and your extra fabric could be put to a good use. IMHO charity quilts should be as pretty and well made as those we make for our families. But buying good fabric to sew charity quilts can be prohibitively expensive for some. Sharing our extras can help many people as well as making the giver feel good about sharing.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM

I have tons of fabric and I'm not ashamed to admit it! And there is no way I'll ever use it all up and that's just the way it is. I think of it as insurance for when I can't afford to buy any more.