Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011 >

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

[DEAR] JANE STICKLE CYBER BLOCK PARTY - Jan 2010 thru May/Jun 2011

Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 PM

Oh welcome sonwest you came at the right time this is a blast your gonna love this group.
Cher
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM

glad that you joined sonwest! this should be a great quilt to do and make.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Welcome sonwest! Can't wait to see what colors you are going to do!! You will have a blast with this fun group!!
Old 01-07-2010, 06:37 PM

I love the range of reproduction fabrics from Moda. Is it worth buying a fat quarter bundle (lots of $$$, including shipping to Sydney!), or do you think I can get away with a jelly roll or some other configuration?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM

Besides my stash I've been buying FQs because I will use the rest of the FQ in the plain triangles. The blocks take so little fabric. I have used some jelly roll strips on the smaller pieces though.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Prepare yourself for some "eye rolling"...this is one of those beginner questions that will surely make you sigh. You are trying to piece BR2 and my 20 yards of Kona cotton is in at the LQS. I have never bought this much fabric...like maybe 5 yards once or twice. So....the question...how do you wash that much stuff. Cut it? How big? Do you just cut and wash 6 yards or something and then do the rest later? Or what. I have looked at to wash/not to wash in the threads and am guessing washing is in order...cold water? Little bit of soap, or no? Really, I know, this is exasperating.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by maryb.43
Prepare yourself for some "eye rolling"...this is one of those beginner questions that will surely make you sigh. You are trying to piece BR2 and my 20 yards of Kona cotton is in at the LQS. I have never bought this much fabric...like maybe 5 yards once or twice. So....the question...how do you wash that much stuff. Cut it? How big? Do you just cut and wash 6 yards or something and then do the rest later? Or what. I have looked at to wash/not to wash in the threads and am guessing washing is in order...cold water? Little bit of soap, or no? Really, I know, this is exasperating.
I don't wash. Just my preference. My Jane is going to be hung, so not really an issue for me.

If I were you, and washing, I would do a few yards at a time, and just let the bolt sit until you are ready for more. There are chemicals in the fabric that "preserve" it while it sits, and you are better off just waiting until you need it. My two cents.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 PM

Can someone tell me how to post pictures. I don't have a camera so what should I buy and what else is there to it. Talk about green!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by sonwest
I love the range of reproduction fabrics from Moda. Is it worth buying a fat quarter bundle (lots of $$$, including shipping to Sydney!), or do you think I can get away with a jelly roll or some other configuration?
I'm so happy we have another new friend doing Dear Jane with us!
I think amounts of fabric needed varies depending on which method of piecing your going to do. I am going to paper piece as much as possible and I think there is more waste with that method.
I'm doing red & blue batiks with Kona white background so I've started with three yards each of a few different reds and same with blues and I think Klue said we will need about 15 yards for background, and I've purchased 5 yards so far. So you can buy as you go depending on fabric choices.
Hugs to you, Sonwest!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by maryb.43
Don't be silly! Everyone involved in this project are great and want to help each other. I'm sure nobody feels like sighing over your question!
I cut fabric down to manageable pieces. Because I'm using red/blue batiks and white, I washed my fabric twice (once with mild soap) and starch/iron as I go.
Oh what fun we're gonna have! I'm glad your doing this project with us!