Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese? >

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Why do I struggle so much with Flying Geese?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:27 PM

I use Eleanor Burns flying geese rulers and method.

http://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/rulers

It results in a slightly larger block that you trim down. If you can't afford the rulers, I think you can use the method and trim them with a regular ruler.

The little bit of waste is worth it. The blocks are always accurate.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:48 PM

The Eleanor Burns method is a winner every time. Last year I finally finished a scrappy blue Flying Geese quilt and it is beautiful. Although I didn't use all of the 1380 flying geese units it the quilt, I did use most of them. The leftovers are still being used. Thus far they trim the cuff of matching pillow cases and were added as aside piece to bird house fabric on a tote bag. Those remaining may be used to trim the curtains, make a bureau scarf or adore a sweatshirt until I run out.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
If I need Flying Geese, I always use the method where I use a rectangle and place squares on each end of the rectangle. I sew the diagonal on one square and flip out the fabric (trim the extra away on the corner) and then do the other side in the same way.
This is the same process I use and have never had any problems. I think sometimes we create our own kryptonite because we expect to have problems. I realize several have issues with Flying Geese and HST's due to the bias, but once I learned to cut slightly larger squares for HST's and trim them to the size needed after stitching and pressing -- I haven't had any issues. Squares are a lot easier to cut then triangles and I sew the smaller pieces removed into squares for scrap quilts later.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:31 AM

I made a queen size quilt that had over 600 flying geese units so I feel your pain. I was so frustrated because they would work. I tried several methods until I found Eleanor Burns and it made all the difference. If you look on utube, there are videos that show how to make them. They became fun. You make four at once and it made the job a whole lot easier. Good luck.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Once I switched to using the E. Burns Flying Geese rulers---I had no problems. They come out perfect every time. You start out with 2 different sized squares on top of eachother. I have them in every size she makes.
I recently saw a new shape cutter ruler used on a Quilt In A Day video. However, I haven't been able to find it on that web site or any other. Did anyone else see this?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:07 AM

Nammie to 7 - I use this method all the time and I love that it makes 2 flying geese at a time. They nearly come out right every time. I rarely cut tips off any more - not that it can't happen - just not as often. I really like this method.

Susan
Old 02-11-2015, 05:10 AM

Paper Piecing flying geese is the best way to go. You get precise points and the only hassle you have will be getting rid of the paper.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:14 AM

When making flying geese, I love the EB method. If you are using the tri rec ruler, this is a different block. Maybe dray your 1/4 in seams on the back of both pieces. Now you can pin thru the intersections on both pieces to make sure they fit together where they need to. Hope you get them figured out.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:54 AM

Kimberly Enmo has developed a flying geese ruler that has 2 sides A & B. The middle triangle is cut on one side and the small trianges are cut on the other side with right sides of fabric together. (to create mirror images.) There is no waste and no drawing of lines. Check out her website and then the ruler can be ordered cheaper at Amazon. Works well with no distortion.
Dottie
Old 02-11-2015, 06:14 AM

I love making flying geese. Prefer to use the center large triangle and add the two side triangles. Then use the loc block ruler and the come out perfect every time