Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Nice old machine. Is that a Minnesota Model "A", or prior to letters?

CD in Oklahoma

Yes, At first there was just Minnesota (A) and Burdick (B). Then a few years later Davis / Sears went to A, B, C, D, and F Minnesota models.

Jon
Old 02-11-2015, 05:18 PM

I'm still fiddling with the 306. I've traded out the beehive from the 206, salvaged some hardware from another case, and refinished it. I'm pretty happy with the results. Sorry about the image size, it uploaded before I was ready.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	509816  
Old 02-11-2015, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

Well, I got out a 301 that has been marinading for a while. It was pretty frozen up. It turned right away this morning. I found piece of thread in the bobbin area. Then I tried to turn the clutch knob - it was stuck - I worked at it then hit it with some more oil. DH came along and gave it one little yank and it was free... go figure. It was as far as I got though - life keeps happening...
Old 02-11-2015, 06:10 PM

Ron, that case is gorgeous! Miriam, you're right, life can be so inconvenient-I got two seams sewn today and I have to rip one of them out!
Old 02-11-2015, 06:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MFord View Post
Ron, that case is gorgeous! Miriam, you're right, life can be so inconvenient-I got two seams sewn today and I have to rip one of them out!
Sounds like my day before I went to the dentist
Old 02-12-2015, 06:33 AM

Nice grain pattern and nice job refinishing your case.
Rodney
Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 PM

Ron, that case came out great! You have even reason to be happy with that!

Yeah, life keeps getting in the way here too!

I got the new 115 treadle out to the garage today and took the top off (machine out first). I just finished with solution #1. I was somehow thinking this was going to take all of an hour or two start to finish lol!

The top had a light overspray with white paint and a couple smoky boo-boos. I think I got it all and the smoky parts cleaned up too from what I can tell.

Just resting a bit before I have a go with Solution #2.

The irons are off to the side and aren't too bad. I'm not quite sure what to do with them? They don't need paint or wire brush I don't think, just cleaning and then? Furniture wax? car wax? linseed oil? Not sure about that yet.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:00 PM

Solution 2 is done and the irons scrubbed and in the sun to dry. Sun! We have some sun today! It turned out to be a great thing that I took the cabinet apart to clean. The bolts holding the irons together were really loose! It may have been loose before or shook loose on the drive home. I could've ended up with things crashing to the ground though so I am sure glad to be taking the extra time with her.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:42 PM

Christy you can wax the irons with car wax or furniture wax or just use sewing machine oil. Linseed oil takes to long to cure and will be sticky.
Skip
Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 PM

Thanks Skip! I went with car wax. It was a cleaner/wax which worked out well to get even more gunk off and I thought they were clean!

FREE Quilting Newsletter