Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Layer cake vs cutting your own? >

Layer cake vs cutting your own?

Layer cake vs cutting your own?

Old 02-17-2015, 09:52 AM

I love precuts! Since I still work part-time, I would rather spend a little extra on precuts from good shops than spend the time to shop for coordinating materials and then have to cut them. That being said, I did get myself a Go Baby cutter last fall -and for Christmas gave myself the 2 1/2 inch strip die cutter - so now I can cut my own charms and strips from my stash - but will still order precuts from MSQC or other on-line shops - or my LQS if they are on sale. But it is amazing what materials cost these days.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:33 AM

Layer cakes are perfect if you don't have good color sense, which is something I struggle with on each new project. LC are color coordinated which make them helpful to folks like me. I think $39 is way too much to pay and I have a lot of layer cakes. The suggestion from a fellow quilter to try Connecting Threads is very good, they have quality and great prices. Green Fairy is also a terrific site. Fat Quarter is another place that handles quality and they have sales regularly. MSQ has to be on the top of the list as a source for pre-cuts. There are so many quality folks out there with great deals and layer cakes have let me create some great quilts simply because of the color issue. Auditioning fabrics for a project is also enhanced by using layer cakes, at least for me. Guess it all comes down to doing what works for you.

Welcome to the Board, you just joined the best forum on the 'net.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by jclinganrey View Post
As others have said, you're paying for the 'luxury' of having a coordinated package of fabric. Here is a site I use quite a bit:

http://greenfairyquilts.com/

They often have sales and don't charge shipping in the US.

Jane
Wow, thanks for the info! Just spent almost $100 for some charm packs and a couple of notions. Guess I'd better get finished with current project so I can be ready when this order comes!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:47 AM

I buy my fabric from MSQ most of the time, because if you sign up for their daily deals you can buy a packet of 40 to 42 ten inch squares from the same line of fabric for a reduced price of 18 to 22 dollars. Also their yardage is always reduced from what you buy in your LQS. The same is true, if you like Jinny Beyer fabric, sign up for her specials on her website and she offers a free pattern and reduced-price fabrics each month. There are so many patterns for pre-cuts that, if you do not like to cut, the pre-cuts are the way to go. This is my opinion and from my experience in buying quilting fabric. I might also add that I never buy pre-cuts for the full price.