Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Right thread for piecing >

Right thread for piecing

Right thread for piecing

Old 02-22-2015, 06:41 PM

I use any thing quality, gutterman cotton, mettler, connecting threads, superior masterpiece and superior so fine. Lint to me doesn't matter if cotton, they all are linty, haven't met a non linty one yet. All are cotton except for the sew fine which is a poly made for piecing when quilting and I quite like it
Old 02-22-2015, 06:45 PM

I buy the big cones of SoFine in light gray and light tan. That's what I use for piecing almost all the time. Either the gray or the tan works blends just fine.

Pam
Old 02-22-2015, 08:54 PM

Try several and see what your machine (and you!) like. I settled in on Gutermann and Mettler's, and buy whichever one is on sale when I need it. Based on several good recommendations from this Board, I have also bought Connecting a Threads thread, but it does seem thicker and more linty to me---but the price is great and I have not had problems with it.

Last edited by Jeanne S; 02-22-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:14 PM

I love Aurifil 50 wt. for piecing.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:23 AM

For piecing, I use whatever I can find that needs used up and matches colorwise. I may have to adjust the needle position to accommodate a thicker thread, but that is no issue. The kind of thread is no issue either, cotton or poly. My machine sews equally good with anything I put on the top or bobbin for piecing. Now.....fmq is an animal of a different color! My machine does much better with a finer poly thread for fmq....the tension is easier to keep at a good place. I guess my point is that for piecing, there is no right or wrong thread. Poly thread is fine, contrary to what the quilt police may tell you. If the thread passes the breakage test, then it will work for me!
Old 02-23-2015, 05:35 AM

My favorites are Aurifil and Superior's Masterpiece. I have used Mettler for years because that is what my dealer told me to use with my Bernina, but once I discovered Aurifil and Masterpiece, I like them better. They seem finer and less linty.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:20 AM

I've always used Gutterman since I started quilting and as all my machines are Janome it suits them all. I buy it by the box (5 to a box) so it lasts quite a while.
I don't find it linty at all. My mechanic who was head mechanic for Janome in Brisbane for 15 years has actually said they are the cleanest machines he has ever seen. All I use to clean them out are fat pipe cleaners that are sold for kids craft.

Last edited by katesnanna; 02-24-2015 at 03:24 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:39 AM

I agree with onebyone, the size of the thread is what counts, 50 wt is best. Aurifil is a good one
Old 02-24-2015, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
For piecing, I use whatever I can find that needs used up and matches colorwise.
For piecing, that is what I do... Don't tell anybody but I had threads from years ago that I never found use for it so I got rid of it by using it for piecing and it worked fine for me. Now my machine dealer recommended Gutterman. and with all the recommandations here from QB member I will be looking soon to get some "appropriate" threads
Old 02-24-2015, 04:50 AM

I think the old adage "use the best tools and supplies you can afford" applies. Personally, I love to piece with Aurifil.....and try to get spools when it is on sale.....I use only 3 basic colors for piecing - a light beige, a medium gray, and black....(and use very little black)........My second choice is anything that is 50 wt. made by Superior Threads...Again, watch for sales - shop on line......my blocks come out beautifully, and no excess lint!

I have even used one of the Alex Anderson 50 wt threads in the top of my long arm, with King Tut in the bobbin - and it quilted BEAUTIFULLY (normally need 40 wt thread in the long arm).....

Try and see what works best for you.....