Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How Do You Schedule Your Projects? >

How Do You Schedule Your Projects?

How Do You Schedule Your Projects?

Old 02-25-2015, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

My career requires deadlines. I don't tell anyone in family about projects not even DH. Don't want to make promises that can be altered when life gets in the way. So when I get a few minutes and I'm in the mood, I work on the mood project.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:12 AM

Hey, now! Whoever heard of scheduling a crafty project! I just walk past my fabric cabinet or sewing machine or work bench in the garage and something yells at me, "You want to get started on this right now!." Yesterday I finished 10 coffee cup on saucer pin cushions that just insisted it was their turn. Then I mended a comforter for my daughter; it had been lying on the ottoman in my den since December, crying for its turn. Now there is a community service project quilt top that's been lying on a table near my sewing machine, begging to be finished. But what I've got in mind is working on a quilt from fabric that's been nagging me for more than a year. That will be started from scratch. I probably ought to make a schedule, but how can that happen with so many things wanting my attention? LOL froggyintexas
Old 02-25-2015, 10:25 AM

I tend to buy fabrics for my next quilt while I am piecing the current one. Then I have time to explore ideas. This also puts a little pressure on me to finish the current one in order to get to the next one.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:20 PM

The only schedule I have is dictated by the non quilting events in my life.

If there is something in progress that is for a specific event, that project immediately becomes priority.

Other than that I may work on several projects in any given time period.

I'm trying to discipline myself to finish any project I start this year. I may work on something else intermittently while still working on the not yet completed project, but I'm not folding it up and putting it in the UFO pile!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:50 AM
Vat

Schedule ? ? ?
Old 02-26-2015, 05:16 AM

No schedule here. I work on what I want, when I want.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vat View Post
Schedule ? ? ?

Right there with you! Schedule????? Perhaps I should consult Mr. Webster!
Old 02-26-2015, 06:40 AM

Being retired I just work on whatever inspires me at the time. Being 68 years old I don't want a schedule. lol
Old 02-26-2015, 06:53 AM

I'm with the folks that don't schedule things. At least I try not to, but somehow I end up making mental commitments and getting myself all stressed out and "needing" to finish fourteen quilts by Christmas. (That's actually not an exaggeration at all; one year I made 18 lap quilts in 8 months, all for Christmas gifts)

So this year I've decided is my year of zero quilting deadlines. I work on what I want, when I want. So far that's meant I spent a lot of time "processing" scraps into pre-cuts, and cutting pieces out for about five different projects...that's just what I've felt like doing! I think I'm going to finish off a few UFO's soon too, I've been feeling interested in that part of the cabinet again lately.

My work life has gotten a lot more stressful lately (my partner quit so my workload went from being very heavy to being completely overwhelming) so I refuse to stress about my hobby! If I don't finish a single quilt this year that's going to be just fine - the point is to have fun and distract myself from stressful things.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:41 AM

I had not really thought about scheduling, but I realize that I do. A week day is usually housework and computer time done before 9:00 each morning. At 9:00 I head to the basement and work on customer quilts. 11:30 its back upstairs to fix lunch for hubby, sit down for the midtime news (while I work on a counter cross stitch project). 1:00 its back to the basement and customer quilts until 4:00. Upstairs for dinner prep, clean kitchen, news and cross stitch project. 7p.m. back downstairs to work on my projects until about 9 p.m. Of course, there are often interruptions with family, friends or watching wildlife! Life is great!