Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Good size for cutting table >

Good size for cutting table

Good size for cutting table

Old 03-01-2015, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by copycat View Post
I use the Norden Gateleg Table from Ikea.( I added wheels with castors to make it mobile.) Go to the Ikea link to read the dimensions of the table. The sides fold down to make the table easy to store. The top fits the large cutting mat with room to spare. The sides have 6 sliding drawers to store sewing notions. A lady posted this table on her sewing blog so that is how I discovered this wonderful table.
This looks like a great solution! Thanks for posting this!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:12 PM

I am so fortunate. My DH just built me a WOODEN table version of that folding table that Joanne's offers...the one that is very unstable. Well, I have a wooden version and, since DH is an engineer, this thing can hold an elephant. It opens to be 36 x 60..For Christmas my DD bought one of those large cutting mats so I am hoping that it all fits together. My sewing room is very small so I will be moving this table out when I need to cut or use it as a design wall. Just needs a coat of paint! I LOVE IT!
He made it for a fraction of the price at Joanne's. I told him that he needs to start making and selling them and then we can see the country delivering them....good reason for a vacation!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:38 PM

I have a cutting table from JoAnn's. It would be longer if I took some of the junk off the end of it. I have even used it to layer quilts - section by section.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:11 PM

I have a table similar to that. I just want to caution you to close it up when you are not using it for cutting or sandwiching a quilt. Because there is only one support for each extension, the extensions start to curve after awhile. That makes it extremely difficult to make a straight cut on the extensions!

However, it can't be beat as a space saver.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:33 PM

I have the same table as copycat from Ikea. I leave one leave down all the time and put bed risers under the legs so I can cut with out hurting my back. I wish I could keep the other leaf up but not enough room.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:10 PM

Thank you for all your suggestions. I do already have a collapsable full size cutting table but now that I have reorganized it is too big for the space even when one side is dropped down. I never thought of those movable kitchen islands. I will have to check it out. I think 36"x 48 might be about as big as I can go. I put tape on the floor with those measurements and am thinking if that will work. I like some open space in my little room.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 PM

I found an Americrafters "craft table" on cragislist for $30. It is 24" x 42" and fits in the corner of the walk-in closet in the guest bedroom that is also my sewing room. It fits my 24" x 36" cutting plus a bit at one end ( I had to slightly round the corner of my cutting mat so it would fit within the slight lip of the table). I mounted a piece of pegboard on the wall behind it for rulers, ect. The table has adjustable legs and I found that 32" high was the perfect height for me to cut (I am 5'3") and 36" was too high. It also came with an extension to attach to the side with bins and ribbon holder, ect, but I don't use that. Someday I want a murphy bed so I have more room for my stuff in the room instead of the closet. When that happens I will want a cutting table on castors so I could move it into the closet when I do have guests.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Joan in AK View Post
I was thinking of getting a couple of the 4 cube shelf units from Walmart for storage and putting a top on that, but needed help thinking of a good size top that wasn't too big but would get the job done.
I did this but with 3x3 cube shelves. I have a 4'x5' piece of MDF board on top. I used the remaining 3'x4' piece (it comes in a 4'x8' sheet and Lowe's will cut it for you) to make a giant ironing board with 2x3 cubes as the base. I spray painted the tops with oil-based sealant and oil-based paint. Lots of surface. Lots of storage!
Old 03-02-2015, 06:19 PM

My cutting table is one of the 6 ft fold-in-the-middle tables like you use for picnics or for displays at a show, set on cinder blocks to raise it to a comfortable working height for me. My studio is just the right size for there to be walking room on all sides of the table, if I don't have extra cabinet model machines sitting around in odd places!