Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast >

I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

I am trying to make a list of men on the vintage machine enthusiast

Old 03-10-2015, 10:40 AM

Warmer weather? Yeah, I guess so in South Louisiana. It is still cold here--we've only just gotten rid of snow, and now it is cold and rainy. Makes me so blue I can't stand it...... But today I am making myself trek out to my sewing room and finish up a whole-cloth quilt for DH for our anniversary coming up the latter part of this month. The key word there being "making myself do it." I have to make myself make my day count for something, you know.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:03 PM

I started sewing somewhere around the age of 10, taught by my mother who sewed a lot. I learned on her machine, a Pfaff 332, which I now have. She gave it to me in the 1980s when she bought a new Pfaff. She said she knew it was a mistake almost immediately because the new one was not as good as the old one and I offered to return it, but she declined. At the time, I had a newish Kenmore I had gotten new, an old kenmore, and a Singer 15-91 which had stopped working on me (if only Rain's blog and the internet had existed then, it probably would have been fixable). I got rid of all but the Pfaff when I moved out of state.

Over the years, I worked for two different clothing designers as a cutter and shop room manager and have used many different machines including a number of industrials. The Singer 591 with a Servo motor and toggle switches for automatic backtacking and thread cutting/presser foot lifter in the foot pedal was probably my favorite to use. A simple tap of the foot would make a single stitch, perfect for topstitching delicate designs or floor it to rock and roll. Nice machines.

I've always preferred machine piecing quilt tops to hand quilting (which was the preferred method I was taught) and gave away a stack of quilt tops to my sisters for them and their children several years ago, but they would have to quilt. One of my sisters said "no more unquilted tops." Then two years ago, my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer and couldn't get warm during radiation treatments, so I made her an appliqued horse quilt and machine quilted it. About the same time, the belt was started to slip on the Pfaff and replacements are rarer than hen's teeth, so I picked up a Singer 15-90 hoping it would do what the Pfaff would. That was the start of the addiction. Now, I usually just respond with "a lot," when asked how many machines I have...which is more than tate_elliott but not as many as KenmoreRulesAll! I do also have my maternal grandmother's 1889 Singer treadle, which is actually a rescue abandoned in the basement of a house my paternal aunt bought in the 1950s or 1960s.

Although I do have a lot of Singers and love the 201s especially, I seem to prefer the German and Italian machines. I love the Pfaffs and also really love Necchis because they're so smooth and quiet. I also recently acquired a Nelco badged Vigorelli and I think it is probably second only to the old Pfaff 332 for power. I keep telling myself I have too many and need to stop but I do really really like them. My heart races when I see a case or cabinet at an estate sale or thrift store. I have a problem.

The following is a queen-sized quilt I made as a 60th wedding anniversary present for my best friend's parents, who have sort of become my surrogate California parents. They both have music degrees and have been lifelong musicians. He sings in a barbershop quartet group and is a church organist and they both sing in the church choir and have taught children to play instruments.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513161[/ATTACH]

This picture shows the musical note backing and some details. The black borders have a repeat pattern of gray Clef notes and the background fabric in the blocks is sheet music.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]513162[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Music Quilt Low Res.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	513161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Music Quilt Back Detail Low Res.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	513162  
Old 03-10-2015, 02:21 PM

DH helps here - he's the unsticking stuck, "brute force", better leverage, lift that heavy thing go to these days but he's also who I "bounce" a problem off of - which sometimes yields a result without him having to say a word Other times he helps me reach the solution.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
DH helps here - he's the unsticking stuck, "brute force", better leverage, lift that heavy thing go to these days but he's also who I "bounce" a problem off of - which sometimes yields a result without him having to say a word Other times he helps me reach the solution.
Hubbies are handy aren't they - mine does that a lot, too.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:29 PM

Thanks Rodney! I wasn't sure if the quilts were public or not so I never said anything here. Carol and Olivia both love your gifts and Olivia uses your quilt every night.
Rodney

NapaJohn: I showed Olivia your quilt. She wants to comment.
Here she is.
Napajohn, WOW!! I love music so this quilt is perfect for my life!!! you did an incredible job on this!!!
The border is beautiful! i love how it is a piano keys!!!
olivia
Old 03-10-2015, 07:38 PM

Since I stumbled onto vintage sewing machines last April I've purchased 27 machines. I've had at least 1 of Necchis, Pfaff, Kenmore (Maruzen-Jaguar), Elna, Singer, White, Husqvarna. I've gotten pretty good at only buying machines that interest me, don't have any broken parts and only need cleaning/lubrication. I know that's pretty picky, but I've been living in a small rented room in Portland and flying home to my wife and two little boys 2 or 3 times a month. I'm finishing up my work in Portland and getting ready to move back to the Oakland, CA so have been paring pretty aggressively - I'm down to 5 machines: Elna No. 1 (Grasshopper ), Viking Husqvarna 1030 (cast iron old Swedish design: strong zig zag with the gear reduction and no decorative stitches), Singer 301A, 401A and 404.

I know I have a problem because despite the fact that I don't sew AT ALL (couldn't sew a straight stitch alongside a ruler...) I really think that 5 is the bare minimum!

Brian
Old 03-10-2015, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Napajohn, WOW!! I love music so this quilt is perfect for my life!!! you did an incredible job on this!!!
The border is beautiful! i love how it is a piano keys!!!
olivia
Olivia,

Thank you so much. The piano keys are not difficult to make. Long strips of black and white sewn together and then cut in pieces and reassembled. I'm glad you like it.

Originally Posted by Borletti Milano View Post
Since I stumbled onto vintage sewing machines last April I've purchased 27 machines. I've had at least 1 of Necchis, Pfaff, Kenmore (Maruzen-Jaguar), Elna, Singer, White, Husqvarna.
Brian,

I'm really surprised that a Borletti is not on your list...but if you ever come across one, grab it!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:41 PM

NapaJohn - busted!

I was rushing to get out the door while writing that post and missed a few. I had a Borletti-New Home which was pretty amazing - I'll get a pic posted as my avatar eventually. I sold it to a collector in the Portland area a few weeks ago in preparation for my move back to California...am trying to be strong and not regret selling it, but I had to mercilessly cull the herd, so no quarter was given!

Brian
Old 03-11-2015, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Borletti Milano View Post
.... I sold it to a collector in the Portland area a few weeks ago in preparation for my move back to California...am trying to be strong and not regret selling it, but I had to mercilessly cull the herd, so no quarter was given! Brian
Brave lad! When you arrive in Cal, let us know, we'll get your herd back up to full strength in no time!!!
Old 03-11-2015, 01:37 PM

Well, I wouldn't have anything other than my 328K, were it not for my son, because he's gotten every one of them. The National Two-Spool I have would have sat in my Aunt's house and rotted*, because it's so heavy I couldn't begin to lift it! So, Phil is my "go-to" for help which he so willingly gives! He not only acquires the machines, but he maintains them, other than routine cleaning and oiling (having worked as a SM mechanic for 14 years).

NapaJohn, your quilt is fantastic! I love to listen to music, but have no musical talent of my own, unless it is making a sewing machine sing! LOL!

*this sounds so awkward but I really haven't come up with a better way to phrase it!

Jeanette

Last edited by Jeanette Frantz; 03-11-2015 at 01:40 PM. Reason: correcting sme wording