Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Last 5 Quilts Ever... >

Last 5 Quilts Ever...

Last 5 Quilts Ever...

Old 03-15-2015, 04:55 AM

Anniedeb - you have put into words my exact feelings on this topic. I don't dwell on what I should have, could have done in the past but learn from my mistakes and try to improve now and the future. Certainly a good thread to get everyone thinking. Enjoy the day all.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:59 AM

I don't make obligatory quilts, I just make quilts. I give them away, sell some, keep some. It's the process, the sewing that I enjoy no matter where the quilt ends up. I have a few small pieces of a crazy quilt my grandmother made that I turned into runners and they are on the nightstands in my guest room. I have several quilts my mom made. Mom just turned 80 and she is still sewing away. She is a queen of UFOs, so many started projects, she works on one then gets an idea and is off on another one, eventually they get done. I don't care as it keeps her busy, happy, and her mind active.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:08 AM

I have belonged to the "Life is short" club for many many years. I lost my dad to a heart attack when I was 18. I grew up in a hurry. Then lost many family members over the years to cancer. And I had my own wakeup call just a few months ago. Kind of changes what is important to you.

Every quilt I make is one I WANT to make. I make a lot of charity quilts. I have at least 10 that I figure my children can fight over when I am gone. I don't like the term UFO so I try to finish every one I start. I quilt for the satisfaction it brings ME, and if I can make someone less fortunate than me happy, so much the better. My quilting friends can fight over my stash when I am gone. If I made a quilt because I felt OBLIGATED I know I wouldn't do my best work. I want EVERY quilt to be my best.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:36 AM

Wow. This is very thought provoking!
Old 03-15-2015, 06:04 AM

Thank you for the post, I keep saying "when I finish this one", I'll make one for me. I think it is time!
Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 AM

This is thought provoking. I have also begun to think more this way. My quilt guild had an auction last week as a fund raiser. I had fabric I didn't like that was given to me that I always felt I needed to use. I felt like it was staring at me from my stash to be used. I use it mostly to make donation quilts. Since I don't really like the fabric I don't enjoy the projects. Other people love them. I took it all to the auctions and now it is all gone. Other people went nuts over it. I have plenty in my stash to make donation quilts I will enjoy working on more. Why should I use my precious time sewing something I don't enjoy.
Also I am makig a quilt for my GS who will be 2 soon. It is for his big boy bed. I had a layer cake ( don't usually buy pre cuts) that I really liked. I pulled it out to use and put it back because it was one of those fabrics that was too precious to cut up. As I dug for something else to use I thought " that was stupid" if my GS isn't precious enough for this fabric who is. It is working out perfectly.
Your time is precious. You will never get it back. What you want to do.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:08 AM

Thumbs up

"As I dug for something else to use I thought " that was stupid" if my GS isn't precious enough for this fabric who is."

thank you! I love this. No truer words......
Old 03-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

I am always the one when fabric donations come in at the Senior Center and everyone is like sharks around fish, I ended up with with the unfinished blocks. I try my best to finish these blocks and give them some useful purpose for others to enjoy. Haven't come up with a pattern for these. I am really stumped. I want to keep her center block intact but I think I may have to cut these larger blocks down in half to create blocks that will work in a round robin borders. I need to be able to make a top around 36" square for a man in a wheelchair.

I don't worry about the access of my UFOs I have because my friends who also make charity quilts will pick up my leftovers and see that they are finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrappy QST.JPG
Views:	276
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	513691  
Old 03-15-2015, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Your post is very eye opening. Two year ago I stopped all quilt making obligations. I don't care if cousin's DH's nephew wants a tee shirt quilt, I don't want to make one.
You're absolutely right!!! Why don't I have one of MY quilts on my bed yet all the grandkids have been covered multiple times and every baby I know of in the last five years has been covered. As well as my sister's tax preparer and her best friend and grand nieces and nephews and....it goes on and on. Sometimes charity has be begin at home and I should slide myself in between all those comfort and mission quilts going out the door every week.

Great thought-provoking topic...and I'll be looking at my stash and patterns a little differently now.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 AM

I'm the Queen of UF Projects...have done about every craft out there; ceramics (shed full of molds-kiln all never used by me) was to be my retirement plan. have sewed since I was in high school, only one in my class to take Home Ec. 4 yrs.. Just turned 59 and have been quilting since 2010. Retired 2008 due to Cancer and Back/neck injuries. Having done a lot of Memory quilts and lap quilts for friends who have had Cancer too. Quilts for Family, one on my design wall waiting on quilting machine to get out of shop, piecing another one while waiting(Crown Royal Bag Quilt) and doing Blue Jeans throws. And Nephew wanting a Graduation Tee Quilt out of his High School Tees for Christmas. When all of these are done then one for my king bed...FOR ME! I also have a stash of E-bay tops and started tops I hope to finish, I think of whoever had stared them and how much they would love to know that they got finished...These I pull out and work on when tired of the project of the moment. Your thread has me ready to move on all of it. Thanks for the PUSH.