Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Binding help needed... >

Binding help needed...

Binding help needed...

Old 03-21-2015, 03:13 PM
Z

Use Elmer's School Glue (only this brand which is washable) and you don't have to worry about a walking foot. Go to the videos of Sharon Schamber on YouTube. There are three of them, Binding the Angel. Her method is fantastic.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:21 PM

I use my regular presser foot to sew the binding to the back and then turn it over to the front and top stitch it down about 1/8" from the folded edge.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:35 PM

I've never used my walking foot to attach the binding. I use my 1/4" foot. Don't pin, don't baste....haven't had a problem yet. I go slow and check as I go. So far so good!!
Old 03-22-2015, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by dcamarote View Post
go to utube and goggle "Sharon Schumer Binding Tutorial". She has one that takes you all the way through and I love the way she ends it. Good luck.
Her tutorial (Binding Angel) is what inspired me to do my quilt bindings, especially on large quilts. I baste with Elmer's washable school glue and it is a big help
Old 03-22-2015, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by DresiArnaz View Post
I don't have a walking foot.

Any tips and tricks for this or am I out of luck?

Many thanks in advance. :-)
GLUE BASTE. It'll change your life lol.
Max
Burke, va
Old 03-22-2015, 06:15 AM

Found this good tut yesterday on applying binding. 4 parts. Short . Mccallsquilting.com
check it out...
Old 03-22-2015, 06:43 AM

I have attached lots of bindings using my regular sewing foot. I usually cut my binding 2 1/4 inches and finish my binding at 3/8 inch. Be sure to square your quilt before applying the binding-especially the corners. I always pin binding to the quilt to be sure that I don't hit the corner with a seam. Be sure to use a sufficient number of pins. You don't want the bottom layer to be advanced more than the top layer which will sometimes happen because of the feed dogs. Baste those areas that have the 'pin tucks' and they should disappear if they are just 'pin tucks'. Go slow.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:51 AM

The little pin tucks are on the back where the border attaches to the quilt. You can't tell by looking at the front.

I sewed all the way around the outside edge of the border like bearisgray suggested.

Then I sewed the binding on like in the Sharon Schamber tutorial.

When I turned it, I used lots of pins and stitched it from the back.

After that I went to the front and put 1/4" tan zigzag all the way around where border meets quilt.

Then I put a honeycomb stitch where the binding strip meets the border.

Thanks everyone for your tips and tricks. My quilt is completely done, washed and ready to give away. It turned out far better than I dreamed-I'm really thrilled with how it turned out.

I have to finish the pillow sham and two matching pillows and downsize a queen sized dust ruffle.

I was thinking of doing piping around the edge of the pillows

I make my own piping by crocheting a tight thick chain stitch out of regular yarn and sewing fabric around that.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Oh and the only time I used glue was whenI had to join the binding strips together
Old 03-22-2015, 12:29 PM

Look and see if you can adjust the pressure of your sewing foot, if so lighten the pressure a little then I always zig-zag the edge so it won't move on me then sew the binding to the back then hand sew the binding down on the front. I also like to do a 3/8" or 1/2" binding since it is easier to control the quilt and I personally think it looks nicer. Also you can put on a wider sewing foot which can help with the drag of the quilt.