Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pros and Cons of Using Two Layers of Batting >

Pros and Cons of Using Two Layers of Batting

Pros and Cons of Using Two Layers of Batting

Old 03-22-2015, 02:50 PM
Power Poster

When I have a LA do my quilts I ask for double batting. For some reason the LAs in my area buy the thinnest batting. I provide my own batting. I prefer 80/20 with wool batting on top. The weight isn't that much heavier and I think the quilting looks much better.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:17 PM

I just finished 3 utility quilts made from random 10" squares and scraps on backside. Inside I used a double layer of high loft poly batting. I straight line quilted with a walking foot on my Janome 6600, just "x" in each square as I didn't want to lose the effectiveness of the double batting. Recipients love em as they are extra warm, but not heavy at all.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:05 PM

Our JoAnn shop sells 1/8" and 1/4" thick 80/20 and all cotton batting....so i'm thinking if you only had 1/8" on hand you could double it --- and it wouldn't be any different than sewing the 1/4" batting to start with.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:18 PM

I have quilted two layers of batting: hobbs 80/20 two layers turned out very nice! Hobbs 80/20 with 6 0z polyester bat on top. very nice. quilted heavy leaves it a little stiff perfect for a wall hanging but not for a cuddle quilt!
Did one with one layer of a high loft poly bat was really puffy and very drapey and cuddly.
These were done on a long arm.
I did a quilt using one layer only of Hobbs Tuscany wool and it was beautiful. soft and draped very nice. This was done using my sewing machine.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:37 AM

I only use two layers on the bits that I want to do machine trapunto on. It is an easy way to get the extra puffiness that one wants. Would rather put two thin quilts on rather than one thick one as it is more versatile that way.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:47 AM

I think multiple layers of batting would produce stiffer quilt, one with less drape. If you want more puffiness, use a batting with a higher loft and less quilting. A tied quilt will give you a softer quilt.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:09 AM

I think I would just use one layer of batting and make two quilts. Then you can adjust the weight by using one or both quilts, unless you live in a very cold climate.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:51 AM

I use a wool batting from LQS, not sure of the brand. It machine washes and dries beautifully and makes the quilt soft and fluffy, also warm in winter and cool in summer. The last quilt I outsourced for quilting, the longarmer used a very thin wool batting, as well as dense quilting; it turned out stiff like a tarp. I tried to soften it by washing and air drying in my dryer, but the batting dissolved, leaving the quilt a wrinkled mess. I was so disappointed. Now I do my own quilting on my Juki 2010Q. It's not perfect, but I am learning so much and having fun.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:52 AM

It depends on what batting you use regarding drape and weight. I made my niece a full size quilt and used Quilter's Dream Orient (which is a blend with silk, bamboo, tercel? I think) and 2nd layer wool. It was the first quilt I ever showed in a Quilt Show and I splurged on the batting. It is very warm but light and drapes nicely. The quilt folded and fit into a bag with a handle to carry on the plane and she was amazed at how light it was.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 AM

I've done two layers of batting because I wanted the extra warmth and I like the extra heaviness when I'm curled up in the quilts. I used the Hobbs 100% cotton batting, no scrim, and I don't find the two layers too thick or stiff. They are a little stiffer than a single layer, but the single layer ones are positively flimsy (I don't do dense quilting).

The quilts were all stitched in the ditch, every 3 or 4 inches. My machine handled it just fine (regular sewing machine) - it's still much thinner than hemming jeans and things like that, and my machine handles hemming jeans without balking. The extra weight makes it harder to manipulate under the machine while quilting it, but for me that was the only downside.