Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
cutting plexiglass for templates. who does this >

cutting plexiglass for templates. who does this

cutting plexiglass for templates. who does this

Old 03-25-2015, 01:50 PM

In a past job we used to have custom acrylic work done by a company called TAP Plastics and they impressed me with their speed and how nicely made the stuff was (we bought sign holders, some stencils for spray painting, some custom cubby-boxes...kind of random stuff). They are a west coast company only though as far as I know.

They happen to have a shop about 6 blocks from my house and I keep thinking I'll stop in some day and see how much they'd charge to make templates. They can make pretty much anything you want out of acrylic sheets and I think they'd do a great job. Not sure how much it'd cost though...I'm guessing not very cheap. But I could be wrong!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 AM

My husband cuts mine with his laser engraver.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:11 AM

I was/am making placemats for my church to distribute to our local Meals on Wheels program. We need 500. Made the fronts from 7inch squares, not all of them were really square. I went to a local glass place and had them cut a 12 1/2 x 18 piece of plexiglass for a back template and a 7 inch square. $20. This was cut from the thicker sheet. We used sheets to cut the backings and it saved a lot of time. Haven't had ant irregular shapes yet but will stress accuracy.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 AM

A neighbor had small pieces of plexiglass not thick but just right for templates and offered to cut a few that I needed, he also sanded down the sides for smoothness. He has quite a few tools that he loves to play with, keeps him busy making or repairing things!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:46 PM

I have Plexiglas (aka acrylic) cut at my local Ace Hardware all the time. I give them the measurements or a paper pattern of the template I want and they usually do it while I wait. If is relatively inexpensive. I originally did this to be sure I was cutting machine embroidered pieces straight and even. I draw an X on the template and line up the center of the X with the center of my embroidered piece. I like it for applique quilt blocks too. I am a big fan of hardware store templates. If you are especially clever and have the right tools, you could cut your own. BTW, I have them cut from 1/8 inch thick acrylic.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM

I just had one done for me at a local glass co. where they do glass, plexiglass windows, etc. Shop around as some will do it and some won't. I suggest you make an extra copy for you and add the 1/4 "to the measurements before you take it to the glass cutter. Mind turn out just find it was an extra large dresden plate. He charged me $10.00
Old 03-26-2015, 07:22 PM

We usually go to the Glass Company here, and did you know that plexy makes good templates as well?
Old 03-28-2015, 08:27 AM

This may or may not help some, When my son was in college, he did architecture and is now a architect, they have a machine that cuts plexiglass, they put all the measurements in the computer and will put lines and measurements on the plexiglass, then they get cut. My son did this for me, he made me tons, he had a lot of leftover pieces to do this. So im thinking if you go to the local college, maybe they will do it for you. Good Luck