Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam >

I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam

I Thought Stitch in the Ditch meant in the Seam

Old 03-27-2015, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I also thoght it is the seam line/ crease - which I will continue to use - because I like the finished look.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM

Well, but if you press your seams open does that mean by definition you cannot stitch in the ditch?

I do my best to sew right in the seam itself regardless of how the allowance was pressed. If I do it right, after washing I really can't see the quilting stitches at all.

Maybe that should be called SITS? (Stitch in the seam?) LOL
Old 03-27-2015, 01:41 PM

This is a case were one person says something in a class or other instructional materials and therefore people think "it must be an absolute".
Stitching in the ditch comes from garment sewing, and yes they sewing directly on the stitching line of a pressed open seam, and with matching thread the stitching was nearly invisable.
Quilters started adopting this method and so many define differently where the stitching should go that there is no absolute definition.

Last edited by Lori S; 03-27-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:12 PM
Power Poster

I aim for the seam line because stitching on the ditch side only works on one block. If you stitch really close to the seam line on the ditch side, then when you get to the next block you can jog over just a stitch or two to be in the ditch of the next block.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I stitch where I want. Sometime in the seam sometime to the right or to the left. I'm not a quilt rule follower. LOL

LOL... I think a lot like you do Onebyone. Give me a rule and I usually step outside the line!
Old 03-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
Well, but if you press your seams open does that mean by definition you cannot stitch in the ditch?
I would say so, as there is no ditch (lower area) to stitch in with a pressed open seam.

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Stitching in the ditch comes from garment sewing, and yes they sewing directly on the stitching line of a pressed open seam, and with matching thread the stitching was nearly invisable.
I wonder what the purpose is, of sewing directly on the stitching line of a pressed open seam in garment sewing? I don't see that you'd be engaging any fabric with the thread, but just sewing over thread.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I would say so, as there is no ditch (lower area) to stitch in with a pressed open seam.

I wonder what the purpose is, of sewing directly on the stitching line of a pressed open seam in garment sewing? I don't see that you'd be engaging any fabric with the thread, but just sewing over thread.
An example is stitching shoulder seams to facings, so that the facing stays flat. If done neatly, the stitching is pretty much invisible.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
That's how I learned to do it, on the low (ditch) side of the seam, as close to the seam as you can get, but not right on it.
This was how I was taught too!
Old 03-27-2015, 05:29 PM

I find the best way to quilt a really neat straight line, so it stays parallel to the seam, is to use the Line Tamer ruler http://fourpawsquilting.com/pages/template.html It makes beautiful straight lines and handles so easily. I use a Sweet Sixteen sitdown quilting machine, and this is my very favorite tool. Found it here on the board.
Thanks for the definition - I didn't know exactly what the ditch is, but I just did exactly that on a quilt I finished off today. Just need to add the binding.
Old 03-27-2015, 05:53 PM

I didn't think about copyright when I copied the text. It's so easy to do without thinking, isn't it?

Basically the statement on the site was that the "ditch" is the low side of your seam. I was curious about it because I was taught SITD was to sew right in the seam, to hide the stitches at my "Learn to Quilt" class.

Originally Posted by CAS49OR View Post
I thought the goal was to aim for the seam or if you prefer right beside it. According to an article on Craftsy the "ditch" is actually the side of the seam that does not have the bulk of the fabric.