Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thoughts??? >

sewing thoughts???

sewing thoughts???

Old 03-28-2015, 03:52 AM

I am at the point that if I need a gift, I automatically start thinking of what I can make them. Going to the store and just buying something seems like cheating to me now. Lucky for me the people in my life seem to really appreciate the work that goes into things, or at least are gracious enough to act like they do
Old 03-28-2015, 04:00 AM

Quilting is creating, I firmly believe the urge to create was placed in humanity with divine purpose. The act of creation, eventhe simplicity of a blanket grounds my soul (until the bobbin acts up). Giving a gift I created is a gift from the best part of me.

Also, so many cheap textile sold now are made by virtual slave laborers in eastern countries, most of them women and children. Within my limited means, I try to avoid the exploitation of humanity where I can.
Old 03-28-2015, 04:07 AM

Creative hobbies fulfill several needs, some within ourselves: the need to create, to work with our hands, to do something for someone else, to express love, or friendship, or that you care even if you don't know the recipient, the need to spend our free time doing something worthwhile, productive, useful, and beautiful. The upside to spending time creatively is there is a tangible item as a result. We use our words to tell someone we love them, or we care about them; but we use our hands, our time, our creativity to show them. ​ Win, win!
Old 03-28-2015, 04:44 AM

So interesting to read all the comments about quilting. Want to share something too. I retired 4 years ago and a retirement party or get together was given me. Guess what gift I remember the most? One was a quilt made by a co-worker and another made me a small needle, thread, etc holder. Every time I use or see either one of these items I think of that gift and the person that made and gave it to me - wonderful memories. What can take the place of that?
Old 03-28-2015, 04:55 AM

I have read this countless times and it bears repeating. This blog is truly wonderful! I really value and appreciate each and every one of your answers. Sometimes we all need to be reminded of who we are and why we do what we do. Sanity! Creativity! Outlet! LOVE! THANK YOU ALL for responding. Fizzle
Old 03-28-2015, 05:07 AM
shy

Quilting is a form of art..it let your creative side out..fulfills the need to create something..same as being a painter..writer..designer..some people .just have that little urge to create..for myself ..if I don't do that..I get down and restless..besides the best feeling is knowing u made something out of nothing..
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
So I am making a flannel throw for an elderly friend. Flannel fabrics. HST. I showed it to my very "non-sewing-in-any-form" sister who said: "I know you like to sew. You always have. But I don't understand why you don't just go buy a throw for $10 and call it good." Help me answer this. She is right. I could just Go Buy a throw and call it a party. So why do it! Why do I LOVE to Sew? And I do!! Always have. My husband doesn't get it. My daughter is starting to. My friends are on the fence. As are most 😄Quilting is relatively new to me (2 years) but my Bernina has been my friend for a long time... Am I alone in my feelings? Help......
Creating something makes us whole. It can make you feel confident, happy and peaceful. It gives the soul a ticket to ride! Do you get this feeling when you buy something? Of course, Sewing is my passion!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:42 AM

I sew because I like to sew. I like creating something. I like taking a piece of fabric and making it into something to wear, to sleep under, etc. Your sister doesn't understand and probably never will. Just tell her you sew because you like to sew.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:25 AM

Chalk up their lack of knowledge to disinterest and not caring about what you do. It is always easy to pooh-pooh others' hobbies or interests when you haven't a clue as to what is involved in the creation of something unique. Enjoy the process and don't worry about the snarky comments. The best revenge is to show them how to quilt and THEN they will understand just what is involved in the process.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:54 AM

It's a creative endeavor. No one can explain their creative impulse to those who don't have them. Whether you paint or sculpt or sing or play an instrument or make art in any form, it's because you are creative and have an actual NEED and drive to do it.

There are people who will never get it, but it's because they don't have creative DNA. Personally, I'd feel sympathy for them because they don't have it, and wouldn't feel the need to explain that I do.