Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 AM

I was shopping with my daughter and her then boyfriend. I picked up a pack of proscutto (sp wrong)and he said that it was expensive to buy. I looked at him and said that he looked at things wrong, you should asked yourself, if you bills are paid so that you can afford it and then are you worth it. If nothing else, the second question should always be yes. That's what I did when I got my Viking, each time. They normally have no interest and low payments so that took care of the affording things. I'm 60 and I've done without most of my life, growing up I did without because of an alcoholic father and I went without while my kids were growing up, now its my time. So if I can get something that I want, then I do it.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
I'd go ahead and get a new motor for the kenmore though so you have a back up machine, or something for a friend to use if you are sewing together. There are a number of Kenmore collectors in our Vintage Machine forum who could point you in the right direction.
I've been lurking on these boards for a while now, but posted only a few times. I have to say that I agree with what everyone else has said, and I especially agree with this.

I collect vintage sewing machines and Kenmores are my particular favorites. They're great machines. If I were in your shoes, I would drop off the old faithful workhorse Kenmore at the shop on my way to buy that shiny new machine, and wouldn't think twice! It's not a big deal to replace the motor (have it cleaned and tuned up too), and then like KalamaQuilts said, you'll also have a good back-up machine.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

You've done so long without, isn't it time to do with, especially if you want it and can afford it. I agree with everyone else. Go for it. Have fun with it and enjoy to the max.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:57 PM

I don't know what you're waiting for! Please re-read what you wrote. It will convince you to buy what you want. It sure convinced me: You have the money for it, you know what you want in a machine, you do oodles of sewing, you've always put everyone else before yourself. Now go buy yourself the machine of your dreams! Now! You know you're worth it! Heck, I don't even know you, and it's obvious to ME you're worth it! And get that Kenmore fixed to have as a backup.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Yes, as I read what you said it impressed me that you love the machine and will get so much joy out of using it. Go ahead! You deserve to have the toy that you want. You got by on a simple old machine for so long... time to upgrade to just exactly what you want. Buy it for yourself!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM

I agree with everyone else - get the machine you want!! You don't have to justify it but look how much use you got out of your first machine. Just go get it and enjoy! I can't tell you how much more I use mine since I retired and you will too so get it so you can enjoy it!!!
Old 03-30-2015, 01:38 PM

Buy what you can with the largest harp possible. I "settled" for a Brother PQ1500S due to the large harp, but what I really wanted was one with bells and whistles with a 12" harp. So, 3 years later I purchased a Janome 8900 and couldn't be happier. But I still use the Brother. I keep it set up for FMQ, so I can do a smaller project without having to change the feet and settings on the Janome. But I wish I'd just gone ahead and purchased the Janome right off the bat.

BTW, my Janome cost $2250.00 -- and has almost every bell and whistle I could want.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:50 PM

I would get what I want, I mean you use it for lots of different projects and there is a women here were I live that does some of the same things you do. You want a sewing machine that will keep going with all the projects that you do.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:03 PM

Women always seem to have to justify having something really nice just for themselves.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:09 PM
Power Poster

Being frugal is okay but to deny yourself something you really want and will be happy having and can afford is foolish. Goodness if I had to justify every purchase I made I wouldn't have anything fun.