Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 03-30-2015, 02:16 PM

The year before I retired, I went and bought my Bernina, came with walking foot and BSR. I knew I would never have the money after I retired. I have never regretted it. I sewed all my life and never had a new machine, not that there is anything wrong with with the older ones, I have several, just felt I deserved a new one.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:49 PM

When you leave this life, you won't be able to take with you your savings. However, you will take with you what you have lived and enjoyed.
So If you have the money, go for it. You don't need a reason or a justification.
Just my two cents.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
Women always seem to have to justify having something really nice just for themselves.
Not me....

sandy
Old 03-30-2015, 04:16 PM

I recently was in your position. I went back and forth about it. I had been sewing on a Walmart Singer for years and I could do anything but FMQ on it. I finally took the plunge and bought a refurbished ELNA Quilter's Dream and I have never looked back. If you are like me you will never regret it.
Old 03-30-2015, 04:32 PM

Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! NOW NOW NOW! And then come back to the board and tell us all about it.

You have been careful with money over the years which is great, but you cannot take it with you. You should buy the machine of your dreams.... You will get much pleasure out of it for many years to come. Take all the lessons you can and play play play.... You will discover a whole new world.

Good luck and let us know when you get it!

hugs

Caroline
Old 03-30-2015, 04:42 PM

I recently bought a Brother Dreamweaver, VM3000. This has no embroidery but everything else you can imagine. The walking foot is wonderful, the harp is huge, the laser light is awesome. Can't remember exactly, but I think I paid $3300. It comes with 3 feet for FMQing. The "table extension" thing is very slippery and the quilt just glides over it. I can't believe how easy FMQing has become. I could go on and on. You will not be sorry with the Crescendo, but could get the same machine (so I'm told) for a lot less. Of course, you need to have a good dealer that handles brother machines. I got some lessons with mine.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:35 PM

If you deny yourself things that would make life better or more pleasurable, when you can afford them, remember, the money you save will be spent after you are gone for things you would never have dreamed of or allowed yourself to spend money on.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:01 PM

Here you go! Do you want to be a happy woman on this side of the grass or the richest woman six feet under? When you decide, you'll know if you really, really, really want that machine. froggyintexas
Old 03-30-2015, 06:07 PM

If you have the money and you earned the money, end of story. If you want it, get it. No justifying is necessary. You've saved it and now you can get what you WANT. NOT WHAT YOU NEED. If I were you I would have it. If you just mend on it, big deal.ha. I hope you get what you really want. and don't settle with something less. Actually, if you think that way, you could buy a new motor for your other machine.LOL NO WAY. Be happy with it. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:27 PM

Sounds to me like you use a machine a lot, and will even more after retirement! This will be a great investment in your retirement---get what you want. As I get older it is getting easier for me to buy what I want---you really can't take it with you and these are the kind of things we worked hard for all our lives!! Enjoy!!