Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 03-31-2015, 04:08 AM

And what do you do with the money if you don't buy the dream machine?
As much as you do with your machine, I think you should go for it. I of ten hesitate over large expenses, but when I go thru with it, the expense is quickly forgotten and the joy of the item bought is great.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
If you deny yourself things that would make life better or more pleasurable, when you can afford them, remember, the money you save will be spent after you are gone for things you would never have dreamed of or allowed yourself to spend money on.

So true! If you don't spend your money believe me the one who ends up with it will spend all of it.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:16 AM

You have done your research, you know what you want, you can afford it, and like you said it will most likely be the last machine you buy and with the cost of some machines today the one you want seems reasonable to me. So I say go for it, I don't think you will ever regret it. This is just my opinion.
Old 03-31-2015, 04:21 AM

I had the Crescendo and its a wonderful machine, HOWEVER; I only paid $3000. For it brand new. If your heart is set on this particular machine, try to find a better deal!
Old 03-31-2015, 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nanax4 View Post
I have a very old Kenmore machine for which I paid $50 at the outlet store...in 1978.
It's been great. It's electric, zig zags, I have *all* the fancy feet. But the motor is giving out.

Time for a new machine. I had no idea how much new machines cost, or what they could do. Oh my!
Long story short, I've fallen in love with the Baby Lock Crescendo. It does everything but vacuum!
For $4500.

I'm struggling. How do I justify such a fancy/costly machine??? I make quilts to give to relatives, sew clothes for the grandchildren, sew Halloween, ballet, and gymnastics costumes, alter my rtw clothes, mend, hem.

I'd started out looking Bernina's...too costly for what you get. I'm pretty frugal. I'd rather have a lesser machine and get more attachments/bells & whistles. I don't need top of the line. But I do love my gadgets!

I then looked at the Symphony, but realized that the Aria had an 11.25" harp space. To die for!!!!

I realized that by the time I bought the Mu-Vit foot for the Aria (their new dual feed foot) the difference in price between the Aria and the Crescendo was only about $600. And I really was attracted to that laser light, and the cool electronic pen.

This will probably be the last sewing machine that I buy.

Help me sort this out!
First of all sewing is a hobby, so it's all "want" not need. I've always bought whatever sewing equipment I wanted. It's my only hobby and is cheaper than a psychiatrist. Just buy the d@@@ thing. I'd wait mail next month though because BL always rolls out a bunch of Mother's Day deals in April. Get what you want guilt free but hold out for a good deal.
Max - burke, va
Old 03-31-2015, 04:43 AM

I use an old Singer featherweight (selling) which had a beautiful stitch. Then I bought the Baby Lock Crescendo over a year ago and have not return to using the Singer since. The walking foot makes piecing go together better; laser beam is much better than marking squares from corner to corner; locking stitch (stitches in same place) is better than backing up; quilting stitches auto sets the stitch to a shorter stitch length for piecing; bright lighting; auto threading, cutting; bobbin out sensor; large throat; comes with the large table giving a great space; and this is just off the to of my head. No regrets other than I wish I had it sooner.

Last edited by GrannySue; 03-31-2015 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:04 AM

I understand where you are coming from. I retired last May and I purchased a Juki F600 last fall. I struggled with the decision to spend a $1,000! I had the $$ to pay cash ... I could have spent a lot more because I had the cash to do. I had worked for years and was getting ready to retire, and wanted to start quilting for charity. My old machine, which I seldom used because I didn't enjoy using it, just wasn't going to make quilting enjoyable.

We women just think we have to justify everything. I use my Juki at least 4-5 days a week (4-5 hours a day). Now, 6 months later, I'm looking at mid and long arm machines! Ha! I just started a thread here the other day trying to justify buying another machine. Ha!

Just go for it. Sounds like you will use it a lot.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:15 AM

I bought a top of the line floor demo Brother for a greatly reduced price. It had a new warranty. Have you looked into demo models? Diane C
Old 03-31-2015, 05:22 AM

I traded in my Babylock Symphony for the Crescendo, I love both machines and some days I wished I didn't trade that Symphony in. Whichever you decide, you will love either one.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:33 AM

Buy it now! After retirement, you will be grateful you have the machine of your dreams.