Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 04-01-2015, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
I would say that if you want it and can afford it you should get what you want. that said I personally would rather have substance over gimmicks and would buy the best quality in a machine rather than "bells and whistles" Laser lights and pens and funny sounding feet aren't something I would waste money on. Remember that Brother has a long reputation as a poor quality machine., flash is cheap but for that kind of money I would buy a reputable machine that will go the distance and be reliable.
I am in shock over that last sentence, Brother machines are fantastic! I would buy a Brother product over any other brand and I have the brother machines to prove it. No, I am not afflicated with Brother or any other sewing machine company, I love the quality and performance. Almost 14 years ago I bought a Brother top of the line and another machine that begins with B (not Babylock) at almost the same time (long story there but involved winning a jackpot) I used those machines equally, the Brother is still going strong & my favorite machine, the other B machine died about 6 yrs ago, the motherboard went and very expensive to repair so machine unusable.

I use this as an example, not brand bashing, I actually love all machines but because I had a bad experience with one machine doesn't mean I would ever make a negative statement bashing the whole brand.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:22 AM

I'd say splurge and buy whatever model you like best ... you deserve it!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:34 AM

Face it, you really want us to say yes, go get it. So.........YES, GO GET IT!!!! LOL, have fun and enjoy, you only get one life, this is not a dress rehearsal!!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:58 AM

Thank you so much to all of you for the feedback! I guess I was asking….would I later regret having spent that much money on a sewing machine. Sounds like the answer is a resounding “NO!”.

I had asked at the dealer if there were any upcoming sales (they said not that they know of; they said that they never know ahead of time), or if there were any upcoming opportunities to purchase a floor model such as a quilting show/expo (they said no), or any used ones (no).

I’m not in a big rush to purchase anything and will happily wait a month or two to get a better price. So thanks to whoever brought up that BL sometimes has sales/discounts in April! I don’t mind waiting a few months to see what happens with the price.

I’m not overly nuts about this dealer, but I don’t want to drive 50 miles one way for the classes, either. I’d prefer to go to this dealer because it’s only a few miles from the house which would be easier for classes.

The only other dealers in the cities who sell BL/Brothers are the same company as this one, so it’s not like I have any choice if I want a local dealer.

I’m disappointed that they’re not offering me anything of a discount for a high end machine. I’m paying cash (not a credit card) so I was hoping for a discount there. Or an offer of extra feet or something. They don’t seem inclined to budge on the price. Which might mean that I put it on my Amex card instead of writing a check. I might as well get the miles credit if I’m not getting anything else!

I am happy to hear that people who have bought the Crescendo like it, and don’t regret it. I’m fascinated with the laser light and all the other cool stuff it can do, and the harp space is wonderful for quilting. Plus, I just like the looks of the machine itself. It seems pretty user friendly. I was sewing on their sample, and it seemed like whatever I wanted to do I could figure out without a lot of messing around.

I haven’t done any test sewing on my own samples yet. I have to get my samples together and go do that.

I am a little uneasy about the machine becoming obsolete. Obviously, I’m the kind of person who buys things and expects them to last a good, long time. I’m really afraid of a part going out 7 years from now, they don’t make it anymore, too bad, so sad. That kind of thing with my tablet and cell phone makes me crazy. As in, my fitbit won’t work with either of them because they're one generation blue tooth too old. But if they work fine, it’s hard to justify a new one just to get it to sync with the fitbit.

I know what people mean about justifying to a spouse…but that’s not what I meant. I meant justifying the expense of the machine to myself. I am truly my mother’s daughter, having inherited those excessively frugal genes! But I think y’all have talked me out of that kind of thinking!

I also think that purchasing expensive items before I retire is the way to go. Get all that out of the way, so I can enjoy retirement.

Initially I was planning to use joint funds for this purchase, but now I am thinking to use mom’s money for this purchase, thinking that every time I go to sew I will be filled with happiness and think of her. She would have been so delighted with my happiness over the new machine. But I would never tell her the price…she’d roll over in her grave and die again!

Stay tuned...I think the decision to buy is made. Yes, I'll buy something, but I'm going to wait a little to see if there are any sales/discounts offered later in April.

Thanks again for all the feedback! I've had a lot of fun reading them....we're such a good group here!

P.S. I love the comment about that I can always teach it to vacuum later. Still laughing about that one!
Old 04-01-2015, 07:41 AM

Depending on your budget is what I would consider. I have two computerized Elna's and the problem is that when it comes to repair, the cost is extremely high. I paid 1500.00 for the machine one cost $800.00 to fix and the other 450.00. I would have been better off buying a cheaper machine , use it til it gives out and replace for a new one. I do have a Brother machine that does have the zig zag, decorative stitches, etc. and I only paid 250.00 for it. Just something to consider when it comes to repair. What counts is what makes you happy.
Old 04-01-2015, 08:01 AM

Nanax4, I'm approaching 62 next month and I just purchased the Aria a few months ago. I had some of the same feelings you have but it was more along the line of "I'm not the one bringing in the paycheck so how do I justify it to my husband who does?" I hemmed and hawed for a several months wanting it but knowing it was expensive, especially since I already owned 3 other older machines that worked perfectly fine. But I wanted that large harp so that I could start quilting my own quilts instead of paying someone else to do so. I don't mind paying for LA quilting for a special quilt but many of them are simple quilts that I donate or give to friends. I did my homework--went on line to research what machine I wanted, what their capabilities are and how much they cost. Then I went to my local sew and vac dealer to talk money. Finally I went to my husband to let him know all the details and he said "let's go check them out, no promises". After looking at my dream machine in a large sewing machine store they offered a fantastic deal my husband couldn't argue with. I was so surprised when he said "let's do it". It helped when I told him I would earn some of the money myself in any way I could. We left with a new Aria at a great price with a 6 mos same as cash contract. Two months later and I've paid it off and have already quilted 4 quilts! I know I saved over $400 in LA quilting. I am totally happy with my machine and it's bells and whistles and my husband is happy that I'm happy. So I say GO FOR IT! You will love every minute on your new machine. I know I do. My advice is Shop Around for the best deal you can get; take the free classes offered if you can and quilt to your heart's content! You're definitely worth it!
Old 04-01-2015, 08:08 AM

I do have to say that I am concerned about maintenance costs. I don't remember what she said a servicing was, $120 or so, yearly. Waaaay outside my comfort zone! And a repair of $4-500 is gonna send me over the edge!

However...all that compared to his trip to Italy for two weeks this spring, and a hiking trip in June, and another out of country trip in September, a hunting trip in October...my costs start to fade.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:13 AM

I agree with Tartan, you are worth it! Buy what you want and can afford! Be HAPPY and have FUN!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 09:36 AM

Let me ask you this. Since money is not an issue,you already have the money for the entire price of the machine, why are you worried about buying? If you do buy this machine, will you constantly regret spending the money? I have known people who will buy an item and then never enjoy having it because they are regretting the purchase. I would say that you got your money's worth out of your Kenmore and then some. Since you sew a lot of garments, costumes,etc do you have a serger? If I were making garments, I would purchase a less expensive sewing machine and buy a serger, too. It will change your world when making garments. Also, you can make quilts with it and many people use their serger's to serger the quilt sandwich before binding so that everything is already sewn when the binding is applied. Just makes it easier to bind a quilt. If you don't have a serger, you might want to check them out.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
Life is short and there are no pockets in shrouds...... Buy the best machine you can afford - and enjoy it!
My exact sentiments. Don't have any regrets. I know I made this same decision a couple years ago and I will be 69 this year. My last machine and it does everything I want--it is a Viking Ruby--oh, I would like the threading mechanism on the Babylock/Brother machines and that dual feel foot on the Pfaff, and there is the laser light and the built in cameras but I don't need all of that to do what I want. My advice--go for it--you have gone many years without a new machine get what you want and that you can afford. Bless you.