Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:16 PM

So sorry that your dealer won't work with you, my local Babylock & Brother dealer are both good at that, if you pay cash they deduct what they would have paid in fees to the credit card company.
the Babylock dealer moved too far away for me but the Brother dealer still local.
I also seem to remember special April deals in past years, if I hear of any I'll post
BTW, the Cresendo is a great machine!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:23 PM

I agree with Tartan!!!
Old 04-01-2015, 02:43 PM

You are a long time dead, if it will give you hours of pleasure making beautifull things for friends and relatives then you deserve it. It will get a lot of use it is not going to be something you stick in a cupboard and forget about.

So the message is all the way from Melbourne Australia, "Get It" on account of why not.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:03 PM

All I can say is that I bought a Babylock Crescendo two years ago, and I have never looked back. I did my homework and checked out several machines, but kept coming back to the Crescendo. My old machine was a thirty-year-old electronic Pfaff (which I loved practically to death--motor dying), but I don't care for the local Pfaff dealer and the next nearest Pfaff dealer is owned by the same people. My Babylock dealer is great, and I bought a Tiara from her last year. I adore the laser light on the Crescendo--so nice for straight line quilting without marking--but I haven't used the electronic pen very much so far--just haven't found a use for it. I'm sure I will after I retire next year and have more time to "play" with my machines.
Old 04-01-2015, 05:40 PM

when I had the choice, I went for the machine with more features. That was 2 years ago, and I'm retiring May 22. I'm so glad I bought the machine I did, I really use the features, and it's so much fun to sew on! Go for it!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:34 AM

[QUOTE=Skratchie;7147028]IMO, there are only two questions.

1) Do you want it?
2) Can you afford it?

If so, then go for it. You worked for years and will soon retire. We work so we can have a comfortable retirement.You sound like it will be a very used machine , so get the one you want. We can't take the $ with us when we die, and I'll bet after you get it you will wonder why in the world you even questioned the purchase.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:49 AM

Did she buy it???? No updates?

sandy
Old 04-14-2015, 06:11 AM

Nanax4, I would definitely get some benefit from putting the machine on a credit card. Why let them get the benefit from your cash, esp. if they won't budge on the price. I wonder if they are as inflexible on other policies as well....?????.....

I bought my Bernina 710 at a local dealer 10 minutes from my house, but the tech/owner did not have a clue how to adjust this new model so it could sew a decent stitch. Luckily I was able to find an excellent tech 1 1/2 hours away, so now I take the machine there for service. The new dealer is a horse and buggy Mennonite....but he sure knows sewing machines!!!

Have you checked out reviews on your new machine?? I always find them helpful.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:27 AM

Sandygirl...no haven't bought it yet. I'd heard that Baby Lock sometimes has sales leading up to Mother's Day. So I'm (impatiently) waiting. If they're not on sale by the 2nd or 3rd of May, I'm going to buy it anyway.

I hope to get them to agree to a price adjustment if they were to go on sale within 30 days.

As I said, I'm not fond of this dealer, but they're the only ones with 50 miles that sell Baby Lock. The next closest one is about 75 miles from my house, which would be a pain for classes, service, etc. To me, closer is worth something....I'm not one for spending time in the car when I could be quilting!
Old 04-14-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
If you can afford it and that's the machine you want, buy it! Too often I think we feel guilty about spending money for a "hobby." It's not just a hobby. It's a way to express your creativity and enjoy your free time. Other people paint, or golf, buy a boat and go fishing, or whatever. We sew.
I think this is a great reply.