Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you an Artist or just a Quilter? >

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Old 04-05-2015, 04:18 AM

Quilting IS an art! Just like carving, painting,cooking, or any other hobby/pastime that takes a lot of learning new things. I have been quilting for 60 years and I don't generally use some other artists line of fabrics because I like to choose my own. I change and tweak and make up patterns to suit me. If you think you aren't artistic get a small child to help you. They don't have a lot of bias about color or pattern, but they sure know what they like and that is art.You don't have to be a craftsman to enjoy art. You don't have to be an artist to make a quilt either. Just be yourself and forget the quilt police!
Old 04-05-2015, 04:25 AM

I don't consider myself an artist.I love to quilt. I have a very large family, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren. I'm trying to make sure each of them has a quilt I've made them. If I ever make myself anything it is to please me but I've always chosen colors and designs of their choice when it is a gift.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:06 AM

I quilt for pleasure. I do not make art quilts to hang on the wall, I want bed quilts that can be used, chewed and hugged (even dragged) without me getting bent out of shape. I am not an artist but I do enjoy sewing, picking colors and patterns. Love to paper piece.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I'm having trouble with the phrase, 'just a quilter.' Some concepts aren't compatible with the notion of 'just'. One wouldn't say, 'She's just my mother.' If you're a quilter, you're a quilter, never just a quilter, if you see what I mean. But I believe I understand the distinction you're making.

I never quilt to please someone else. I look forward to giving my quilts to loved ones with the hope that they will be loved, but I've never made a quilt at another person's request, according to their preferences. The quilt has to spring from an idea or fabric that has captured my imagination. I don't think I would have the motivation to make it otherwise.
I could not agree more with this reply. I could have written it word for word myself. I came to a screeching halt when I hit the words "just a quilter". Because I am a quilter, I am an artist. I create something beautiful that gives its recipient such pleasure. On top of all that, I don't really agree with labeling myself as one thing or another. I rather thing of myself similar to a quilt, comprised of many different layers, feelings, wrapping myself around those I love to bring comfort, joy, peace into their lives.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:31 AM

I think every quilt is a work of art.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:40 AM

I agree with "annesthread". I'm loving everything about quilting. I certainly do not think I'm artistic nor do I consider myself a craftsman. I am just having fun making quilts. Love scrappy, though!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:33 AM

Tim, I'm so very sorry that you feel the quilt you're making for your DD "My latest project is a Sunshine and Shadow quilt using 2 inch blocks, strict plain fabrics, black backing and binding, all to produce for my daughter as close to an Amish style quilt as I can do." does not show what you feel is artistic. ARTISTIC is taking a quilt from a pattern (used for cutting and layout), finding your own fabrics (they might be combos simerly to the original picture, but they are not the same as the original). Because what you've done is artistic, you've made blocks of different colors work together. They have turned into what YOU wanted. Being a quilter is love (your love of fabric, your love of sewing, your love of giving of your heart, your love of making other happy), you are a "QUILTING ARTIST". Please don't ever think of yourself as ONLY, because none of us are ONLY anything we all have GREAT POSSIBILITIES in us waiting to come out.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:02 AM
C.

We are ALL artists and craftswomen. Afterall, we craft the quilt by making it our own, whether we change a pattern or not, it is our creation. We are artist by the colors we choose. This is just a small description of it. But think about it, all is true of us. I read an article not long ago stating how quilters are true artist. And striving for perfection does take the joy out. I also heard that making a quilt nice and neat is the true perfection, and that any light mistakes fit in to that. I don't know about you, but that freed my thinking. Yes, I am an artist and a craftswoman and my quilts are my own creation with a few flaws maybe, but mine are special and very pretty. All of yours are too.....

Last edited by C.; 04-05-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:20 AM

I am a passionate quilter. I am as perfect as I can be. I am and Artistic quilter. I love all colors and fabrics. I believe in knowing my craft. Immersing myself into the craft. I love seeing all the quilts I can. All are wonderful to me. I love the first quilts finished as well as the latest masterpiece. I appreciate hand quilting and love seeing it still being done. I also love to see machine quilting as it is an art in itself. I also believe quilting is a personal experience. You have to figure out what is important for you in your craft. Then accomplish all that you can. Luann
Old 04-05-2015, 07:25 AM

I agree that we are all artists when we make our own design choices, and I always regard my quilting as creating a piece of art. OTOH, I am not in the category of the people making the show-stopping art quilts, either. They are at their own level, I think.

hugs,
Charlotte