Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using leftover blocks... >

Using leftover blocks...

Using leftover blocks...

Old 04-09-2015, 09:04 AM

They could be used in a backing or make charity quilts. What about making a tote or pot holder?
Old 04-09-2015, 09:06 AM
bj

I'm using some 8-9" ones now to make pot holders for the ladies in a group I volunteer with.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:11 AM

I just have no design/color sense. I took the suggestion from one gal and just use the blocks in one long row up and down the length of the BACK of a scrap quilt. Adds some interest to the back and uses them up without having to wrack your brains on things that don't exactly go together. Do a goodle search for Quilt Back Image and you will see a wide array of absolutely gorgeous, but very simply made backs of quilts. It is an awesome collection of hundreds of quilt backs.

The easiest version for me is to take some of the backing fabric and piece the backs into a row with background fabric in between. They look like they are floating along the back.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
I came upon a number of odd blocks intended for a sample quilt, but somehow got tossed aside and buried under other projects. I would like to hear from those of you who make/have made/will make a quilt-top-as-you-go[with no pattern], what is the key is to make the blocks all appear cohesive?

any special techniques or processes you use? what works for you? thank you in advance for any help you can offer!
I am working with quilt as you go, and the first thing I learned from the first one, is to start with a 14" inch backing square, a 13" batting square, and if you are working with premade blocks, glue baste the batting to the backing. Let dry (I have experimented with a pressing sheet and the iron to speed drying the glue and it does work, just be careful of temperature. I don't know what temperature with burn the school glue.) If you are working with orphan blocks, center them on the batting, glue baste avoiding the edges. Using strips of the needed width and length you want, and sew them face down to the top and bottom of the square, then turn it and sew the longer strips to the opposing sides. Sort of like putting borders on a quilt. A walking foot is a must! I cutting my srips larger than I need, then when all the squares are done, I trim them all to 12.5" since that is the size square ruler I have. I tried cutting the backing and batting the finished size, don't do it. Quilting changes things, give yourself room to spare, maybe not as much as me, but I have coordination problems, and this works for me.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:38 PM

I make a lot of string quilts so I always have spare blocks of all kinds laying around. I use mine when appropriate to join two long pieces of a backing fabric which needs up to 12 inches of extra width to back a quilt. Quilt as usual and your recipient gets a fun surprise when he/she looks at the back. Fun!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:14 PM

sounds more complicated than i'd hoped...maybe they will be orphans a little longer! thanks every one for your input!
Old 04-09-2015, 04:18 PM

If you use them for backing strips they don't have to all be the same size. But it is easy to add extra fabric around the outside to bring them up to uniform size if you wish.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:16 PM

I like to make pillow shams or pillows with my left over blocks - they are really pretty and match the quilt. Some I add extra borders to make the pillow larger. Also put them on both sides of pillow so it's reversible. Have made tote bags for gifts.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
sounds more complicated than i'd hoped...maybe they will be orphans a little longer! thanks every one for your input!
Nah, it is not difficult. Hop over to youtube and look for "Quilt as you Go" and lots of videos come up. I watched bunches of them until I found a method I knew I could work with. It really is so much easier and faster than doing a top, then quilting. Also look for different ways to assemble QAG. I found one that works perfect, and you will too. Maggie Ball, "the gourmet quilter" does really easy to follow tutorials for this. Don't be discouraged by my bad instructions please.

Here is a picture of my first QAG. I had it folded and wrapped when I realized I had forgot to phtograph it, so it looks rumpled, but I was happy with it. It took just two weeks, from beginning to delivery.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	516443  

Last edited by madamekelly; 04-09-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:54 AM

I just add frames or "coping strips" to make them all the same size and then put them together. If you have a block that is small, you may have to add a couple of strips to it.