Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Projects from Quilt Magazines >

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Projects from Quilt Magazines

Old 04-11-2015, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fizzle View Post
Love quilting magazines! They are inspirational and I enjoy reading them. Have a couple subscriptions. That being said, ��, I have yet to make anything from one!
Me too.....
Old 04-12-2015, 03:09 AM

I don't buy quilt magazines any more, as I never made anything from any of them anyway.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:47 AM

I don't buy too many magazines anymore but regularly go thru the ones I already have. It reminds me of different tips, patterns, etc. When I have gone thru a magazine enough, I donate it to the library or thrift store.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:56 AM

I have yet to make a quilt from any of my magazine subscriptions. I look at magazines as entertainment and inspiration. My husband has subscribed to 4 Wheel and Off Road magazine since high school. (25 years.) I don't expect that he's going to build an off road vehicle, based on every issue. He just likes the articles and seeing what others are doing. Why do women think they have to justify a magazine subscription, a fabric collection or new sewing machine?
Old 04-12-2015, 04:45 AM

I loved all the responses. I guess our magazines are just eye candy to many of us. And like others, my husband has car mags for cars he does not own either. I am not trying to justify the cost of the magazines by the products I make but the question may be,could the money be put to better use. E.g. More fabric, quilting tools ... Retirement savings? I guess I consider my magazines part of my entertainment budget but maybe a purchase monthly just isn't needed. Motto should be, Better to do then to view!
Old 04-12-2015, 05:03 AM

I have one magazine sent to the house. McCall's Quilting. If I like one pattern in particular I tab it with a Post It Note. I love sitting and going through each copy. I keep them, and like Jeanne S., I look at the patterns I marked and if I still like the pattern I hold onto the magazine. Otherwise, after some time, I forward the magazine to someone else/Guild. BUT, I sure do spend more time than I should on line checking out other sources for patterns. Bottom line: I like to go through hard-copy quilt magazines while I sit.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:06 AM

P.S. I've made several quilts from other magazines.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:16 AM

When I get a new quilt magazine I read it from cover to cover and use post-it notes to mark special ones. Once I have finished reading I can start again at page 1 and do it all again. I love quilt magazines and I have made a lot of quilts from them. I think the instructions are usually easier to follow than some of the patterns I have used. I got brave and made one that was "Advanced" and it came out perfectly!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:12 AM

Magazines are a fun way to get inspired. I don't buy one often but when I do its usually just to read, brouse and enjoy. I have made several quilts from magazines.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:51 AM

When I go through a stack I write the page number & name on the front cover. If I haven't written anything I know I can pass it on.