Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How would you respond to this? >

How would you respond to this?

How would you respond to this?

Old 04-12-2015, 10:58 AM

When she delivers the news that she will be "bringing a friend and attending class with her", I would respond with "fantastic! Don't forget to register." If she wants to discuss attending for free, I would then reinforce how important it is that each seat in class is for a customer.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:41 AM

Maybe she belongs to this board and will see this. Then you won't have to worry about her coming. Just a thought.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:14 PM

Just ask how she wants to pay...cash, credit card or check and be gracious. I would make clear she may attend as a student only not a visitor.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:42 PM

For clarification, the other incidents were not with this lady. It's always been a different person. The first time it happened I told the person I didn't need an assistant and she couldn't come (in softer words but the same idea) and she never came to another class. The second time I was able to get the person to pay for the class. This is the third time in six years, so it doesn't happen often. I'm just stunned when it does.

Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
How do I tell her, without offending her, that I don't want non-students in class. I don't want to lose her as a friend/student, and she didn't take the hint when I suggested her friend would be okay.

Sadly, this isn't the first time this has happened. It is the third, and it's been three different people. I don't understand the presumption of people, but mostly I don't know how to handle it.

Friend? She is no friend. She has offended you multiple times by attending without paying. The only occasion when someone other than a student should attend a class is if the student needs an interpreter. It appears you set a precedent by allowing her to attend the three previous times. This will probably continue unless you take a stand. It is not fair to your other paying students.
Old 04-12-2015, 04:02 PM

Why do you allow this?
Sandy
Old 04-12-2015, 05:17 PM

Are people really that shy? That it keeps them from attending a class about something they are interested in? I'm not really believing it. Having someone else there to help their friend during class would be a distraction and is in a way insulting. If I were teaching it I would feel like I wasn't being taken seriously. Maybe your replay should be "Why would you want to pay for a sit through a class that is way too easy for you?"
Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 PM

I don't think you have to explain or "talk around" the problem -- just state your policy as tactfully as possibly.

I do like the idea mentioned of offering to have the lady bring her friend in to meet you and ask any questions beforehand. That offer shows that you really do care about the comfort of the new student and allows you the opportunity to start developing a rapport with her. The lady can get her enjoyment from being the "big sister" in the situation, showing the student around.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
Are people really that shy? That it keeps them from attending a class about something they are interested in? I'm not really believing it. Having someone else there to help their friend during class would be a distraction and is in a way insulting. If I were teaching it I would feel like I wasn't being taken seriously. Maybe your replay should be "Why would you want to pay for a sit through a class that is way too easy for you?"
Yes...there really are shy people! I am shy and the thought of walking into a class, event, or meeting can cripple me with fear!! That being said, I do push myself, and "make" myself do things, but believe me....it is not easy. I would not expect my friend to be able to attend and hold my hand though!!
Old 04-12-2015, 06:28 PM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Maybe suggest a one on one with her friend attending and set a price for it (I would set it for more than the class price), this way if she is shy; there will be no intrusion on class time and this is only if you have the time to do so. IF the friend says no she would rather attend a class-give her a sheet of paper with costs of materials and class costs.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by just_the_scraps_m'am View Post
i think i would use the words...it's a policy of mine that i don't accept....be ready to answer the questions about, well you did it for suzy.....why can't i ......

when asked or told, "Well you did it for suzy..."....I would say EXACTLY.
I've had to change my policy bc this situation has come up before and
it's not fair to the paying members. I am trying to be fair to EVERYONE,
so I'll be glad to have you as a paying member. I'm sure your friend is
going to enjoy the class, so all will be happy.
Have a place to go if your in person, IMMEDIATELY to quell further
discussion, or someone's at the door if your on the phone.
Make your case and stick to it.
I'm going to say something that is hard for everyone to do, but
sometimes SO necessary: If she insists on "gnawing" on you,
after you state your 'new' position and resists your efforts to
stick to your guns, she may not be a good friend to have.