Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Homemade ruler foot >

Homemade ruler foot

Homemade ruler foot

Old 04-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

When FMQing I can do most things freehand but I have trouble FMQing straight lines. The last twin size quilt I did had Sawtooth Stars. I wanted to stipple in the stars but SITD around the stars. I added washers to a regular FMQ foot so I could use one hand on a 1/4 inch thick ruler beside the line I wanted to quilt and pull the quilt along the ruler. I put my machinger gloves on and keep my left hand on the ruler/quilt and my right hand on the quilt. I did not have any trouble moving my quilt and ruler at the same time as I stop to re-position as needed.
As you can see from the pictures of the Westalee foot, it works better then my homemade foot PLUS there are neat rulers to use with it. Yes, it does take some practice but if you buy the foot and some of the rulers, you can quilt on your domestic machine and do not have to mark lines. I am intrigued!

Old 04-24-2015, 01:19 PM

[

BillWest, I have looked at the feet designed by Westalee & spoke to the people at Pins & Needles in Middleburg Heights, OH about purchasing through them. As of last month they weren't carrying them. I have watched several online demos for your feet & may order online. It's definitely a niche to be filled for those of us who quilt our own quilts on a DSM.[/QUOTE]

Maggie May,
I just ordered a Westalee ruler from Sew Steady. Mendy Tippets of DreamWorld Northwest (parent company I think) was so very helpful to find the ruler that I had seen in one of the videos. Expect to receive it in the next few days.
Sew Steady will be a source here in the US for Westalee templates.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:25 PM

I haven't checked out all the products that Sew Steady will carry of the Westalee line but from the videos there is a tape that can be placed on the underside of the templates to keep them from slipping and there are handles that can be placed on the templates as well. Maybe Mr West can let us know if those products are also available from Sew Steady.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:02 PM

Our Ruler Foot has a large selection of instructional videos at, Google search "Westalee YouTube" or click here
Sew Steady in Oregon will have every product that we have in Australia[ATTACH=CONFIG]517953[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Husqvarna with Westalee Ruler Foot sm.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	517953  
Old 04-25-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by BillWest View Post
Our Ruler Foot has a large selection of instructional videos at, Google search "Westalee YouTube" or click here
Sew Steady in Oregon will have every product that we have in Australia[ATTACH=CONFIG]517953[/ATTACH]
Thank you for this information.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 PM

Bill, what is the cost of the ruler feet including shipping? My Bernina emb machine has a dif. type of foot, but may fit the basic machines.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:52 PM

I forgot, Bill, you can't sell here, maybe you can pm me.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:38 AM

Bernina are testing a foot now , it will be Foot 96 ...and fit our machines perfectly .
Old 05-01-2015, 12:58 PM

Try using painter's tape.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:12 PM

I have a Janome MC6500. I was reading about the ruler foot on a blog and ordered the Convertible FMQ Foot Set and the FM Frame Quilting Feet Set. It works great. Then, I ordered the Sampler Set of Westalee/Sew Steady templates from Dream World Northwest http://quiltingtable.com/. I'm having so much fun playing with the templates and have ordered a few more. The tutorials from Westalee on youtube are great! The only thing they didn't send me was skill, but practice makes perfect. I have never used a longarm or midarm and tried a little FMQ, but have the eye to hand coordination of an elephant. The ruler foot and templates have opened up a whole new world!