Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Zigzag attachment for Singer.. Is there a difference >

Zigzag attachment for Singer.. Is there a difference

Zigzag attachment for Singer.. Is there a difference

Old 04-28-2015, 04:18 PM

Anything other than a straight stitch seems really weird on a 27 to me... probably because my 27 was bought when I thought she was just furniture and never thought she'd sew, never mind do more than she was designed for.

Jeanette, Every time I used to do a buttonhole with my 290C (my first sewing machine - second if you count the Holly Hobbie toy...) and its 4 step buttonhole, I got a weird trapezoid. Every. Single. Time. When I discovered the attachment and did a little reading about the, I had to try them. Loved them. I don't think the 290C was around long after that either coincidentally. I agree with Rodney, it's best 2 times around but make sure you stabilize well or it can chew up the fabric quite a bit with that many close stitches.

Rodney! I think regrowing a leg is much faster if they use the starfish protocol.... did they do that? I hope that a surgical procedure is better swelling wise than the impact damage DH suffered. Going on 9 months after the accident, he's still swelling. One thing he has been finding (and it's backed up by the physio therapist) is that a little "over doing it" once healed enough is actually good for healing. He pays for it the next day in aches and a little extra swelling but it seems to have accelerated his healing so far to do spurts of work with his leg. I think it's about circulation helping the healing.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:57 PM

I agree that a regular zig zag machine is preferable to the zig zag foot.

Rodney, I'm glad you have such a good attitude. That is so important. And I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep up the good work! However, don't expect too much of your body too soon. Ask me how I know!

Tammi, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. He might want to ask his physical therapist about manual lymph drainage, which is a gentle massage-type procedure that can really cut the swelling down. Again, ask me how I know!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
Rodney, I'm glad you have such a good attitude. That is so important. And I'm glad you are feeling better. Keep up the good work! However, don't expect too much of your body too soon. Ask me how I know!

Tammi, I'm sorry to hear about your husband. He might want to ask his physical therapist about manual lymph drainage, which is a gentle massage-type procedure that can really cut the swelling down. Again, ask me how I know!
Definitely! Attitude makes a huge difference. I see it daily and can tell a bad attitude day by the limp! It's easy to get discouraged but it's important to step back and see how far you've come. It's like watching a young one grow up. You don't see the small changes when you see them all the time but an aunt or uncle comes by and sees that jr. has shot up since the last time they saw them.

cricket! Thanks for that information. I passed it on to DH. The swelling I think is the worst of most of what's remaining - or the cause of most problems - so we want to get on top of it.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
hhmmmm I haven't done anything weird in a while so I should try it - maybe buttonholes on a 27 would be weird, too.
Miriam, I used a VS2 as my main buttonhole machine until a few months ago. Works really well with any short shank one!