Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense?  Help! >

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

I really want this machine...but can I justify the expense? Help!

Old 04-17-2015, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Nanax4 View Post
I do have to say that I am concerned about maintenance costs. I don't remember what she said a servicing was, $120 or so, yearly. Waaaay outside my comfort zone! And a repair of $4-500 is gonna send me over the edge!

However...all that compared to his trip to Italy for two weeks this spring, and a hiking trip in June, and another out of country trip in September, a hunting trip in October...my costs start to fade.
I'm surprised that you think 120 for servicing is out of line. I see that you live in a big metropolitan area. I live in a much smaller more rural area and the service cost here is 70-90 so for a complex computerized machine with a lot of features I don't think 120 is that bad at all.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:02 PM

I would go with what you really like and sew's the smoothest. You deserve it! I bought a more expensive machine 2 years ago and sew more now than before because it is such an ease and so much fun to sew on. I never thought I would pay as much as I did for a sewing machine but am super happy with it. I think it was worth it.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:32 AM

The last machine you brought was in 1978 - so for the last 37 years you have been thrifty --

Many active sewers change machines every 3-5 years as the new features come out....
so you have avoided spending money on about 10 machines.

You are still working and can ask the BL dealer what special financing is available, the company offers incentives and you won't have any problem paying it off before you retire, possibly without financing charges if it is one of the incentive times.

The next 37 years will be spent using a machine you adore! Why not?

Treat yourself. Being a thrifty person, you are not likely going to feel good about waiting until you retire and facing a large purchase then....

Remember that it is not a waste of money if you use it...sounds like you feel you will get your money's worth!

There's a whole new world of sewing and quilting and the Baby Lock is a fabulous machine to do it with! In joy, and Enjoy -- Marylou
Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM

If you want it buy it. I have the BL Crescendo. I live the laser light, automatic threader, and large harp the best. I just had problems with FMQ and the sensor and wrote about it today. It was due to packed lint in the upper thread area and a nicked bobbin race. 99$ for basic service plus replacement cutter and bobbin race. Total came to 156$. I was expecting a lot more. It is working great now. Of course my BL quilters pro (now called a Jane) sews like a dream. I like to use them better than the 1954 featherweight my hubby bought me. I use that to take camping.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:02 PM
bjg

Look at all the pleasure you give those grandkids. I made so many costumes and they still remember. AS someone who was always hesitant to "waste" money on myself it was amazing when I decided It was my turn and bought my Bernina. I have enjoyed every minute of having it and refused to feel guilty about it. If you are 64 you've spent a lot of time and effort on others. GET your MACHINE and get the one YOU WANT. It does not need to be justified! And when you get it take pleasure in having it ----no guilt feeling!
Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 PM

I'm in a similar situation regarding the purchase of a new machine. 27 years ago I got a $150 machine which I thought was expensive at the time. I used that machine for almost 20 years before I splurged and got a used Bernina 8 years ago. I love my machine and have hardly any complaints with it - the main one being that a 7 inch harp is just not enough space for me to do quilting on anything larger than a lap quilt. I know others on the board have managed it but with a bad back and arthritis in my neck and shoulders I just can't make it work. I have the money right now from my mom's estate to pay cash for a new machine. This is the final payout and much less than what has already been spent on the family - drums for my DS, a new electric guitar for my DH, and $17,000 to repair the engine on our boat (don't ask I almost lost my mind over that one). Now I am getting close to buying what I want and I'm second guessing myself. The new Bernina 770QE has a 10 inch harp and lots of other bells and whistles along with an optional embroidery module that adds $1300 to the price. I have never done any embroidery and am torn over whether or not to get it or wait and add it on later if I want to. I still have two other LQS to visit that sell Viking/Pfaff and Janome/Elna. The price I was quoted for the Bernina is much lower than I expected so the price on any of these other machines would have to be incredible for me to select one of them over the Bernina. What do you ladies think of the embroidery module issue - is it worth the extra money or will it be an expensive paperweight?
Old 04-18-2015, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by craftyone27 View Post
What do you ladies think of the embroidery module issue - is it worth the extra money or will it be an expensive paperweight?
I got a Bernina 440 9 years ago, it was a year old and a package deal with embroidery and some other extras. I didn't think I wanted to do embroidery but figured I could at least do quilt labels. I surprised myself and really have come to like the embroidery part, plus it is handy for a quick housewarming gift to monogram some towels, ect. No regrets here! I'm thinking of upgrading soon and will definitely have embroidery! Let us know how you like the new 770!
Old 04-18-2015, 08:42 PM

I say if you can afford it and it's the machine of your dreams, buy it. You don't need to justify buying it to anyone since it's money you earned and you saved. Now go get it and happy sewing and quilting.
Old 05-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Ok, ladies, you are looking at the proud new owner of a Baby Lock Crescendo!!!! I am soooo excited!!

I bought it this morning. A fun day to buy it...it's my daughter's 40th birthday! And I'm big on music (a violin/piano player) so the Crescendo name is meaningful.

They gave me 10% off for purchasing the floor model, so that satisfied my need to get a 'deal'. And another 2% for paying cash.

I pick it up Tues or Wed. I can hardly wait!!!!

Thank you all so much for your input. I was being way too frugal...you guys gave me the impetus to do something fabulous for myself!!
Old 05-01-2015, 10:33 AM

Good for you! I'm happy for you and glad you decided to do something nice for yourself. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Now...when can I come over and use it?!