Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you feel about lending your tools to someone? >

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

How do you feel about lending your tools to someone?

Old 05-13-2015, 07:40 PM

Has anyone experienced family members who DEMANDEDyou to loan their wives all your quilt supplies? My brother tried! Their home had burned and they lost everything. I gave her lots of fabric, duplicste sewing notions I accumulated over the years, patterns,etc. Next thing I know my brother calls snd said I needed to give the wife my extra sewing machine and since I wasn't using my Accuquilt and dies she needed them. I was floored, but said NO!!! I work hard to pay for my toys.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:42 PM

I would not lend out any supplies/tools or my machine. I've been stung to many times in the past lending other things to risk losing something I really need.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 AM

No one touches my machines but me. If in a class, all my tools are well marked, I still don't loan them out. If a friend wants to use one of my specialty rulers they are welcome to come to my house to use it, it stays at my house.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:58 AM

I learned my lesson the hard way when I was young. I lent my only sewing machine out and it came back broken. I couldn't afford to get it fixed and I went without a sewing machine for many years.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:11 AM

No loaning. Nada. Zilch. Things never ever come back in as the same condition they left. I've worked too hard to get what I have and it has to last a long time before being replaced. Others can work for theirs the same way I worked for mine. Totally tough love. It would be a pleasure to help others by letting them know the best tools, where to get them at the best price, but as for letting them use mine? No, thanks!

Last edited by coopah; 05-14-2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:13 AM

I wouldn't lend any of my machines. I will share other items with those I regularly quilt with - and will "loan out" specialty rulers or templates that I am not currently using to those I know will return them in good shape. Only have lost one ruler - not such a bad record.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:26 AM

we have a group that meets at my house and i share everything. no problems
Old 05-14-2015, 03:40 AM

I have been down the "lending" road, also. With nothing but bad experiences. They have messed with my lower tension to the point that I had to take it in to get it right. They also tried to fix things on the machine when nothing was wrong. Books and tools do not get returned. Being generous has cost me a lot of extra money. This is how I feel about it; if I am right there, like a retreat, all day sew, or at my house, and they want to use a tool, or sit down and sew at my machine, no problem, but it doesn't leave and go home with them. If that makes me selfish, so be it. It takes bad experiences to become that way. On the flip side, I do not borrow and take home, I may use that tool right there, return it, and then go get my own. I don't want to be responsible for someone else's things.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:40 AM
Power Poster

I don't borrow nor would I loan anything.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:53 AM

I lent out my sewing machine one time......it had to be repaired and never ever worked good again. So now I don't lend anything out and no one sews on my machine. If a person wants to use a tool in my home, that would be OK, but no lending outside the home. Been there, done that.