Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 05-19-2015, 02:27 PM

Also I have never heard of using two threads with the awl ..... usually you just pull a very long tail and feed it through the loop formed each stitch ...... but then again I just went by the directions on the box and all I have ever done was repair boot uppers and back packs and the like for home use.. not much of a tailor
Old 05-19-2015, 02:29 PM

Manic Mike, would you be so kind as to load a picture of your modified case ? I am pretty sure my 306 needs that.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:00 PM

Thanks for the name “Speedy Stitcher” greywuuf. I see lots of photos of it when I searched the name. That’s the information that I was looking for. For some reason, the only stitching awl that I’ve ever bumped into had the spool mounted down between the handle and the needle clamp, and the needles and needle wrench have been stored in the handle. I’ve got a couple of those, but this is the first one that I’ve seen with everything reversed.

You don’t have to use a needle and second strand of thread with the stitching awl, but it makes things easier if you’re sewing a lengthy stitch line, at least it was for me. You just have to tuck the threads in on both ends instead of where you finish. I haven’t done a lot of awl stitching, but prefer the saddle stitch (pre-punched holes, one thread, two blunt needles) when I’m hand-sewing with large thread or waxed thread. But then, I haven’t done a large amount of that either. Probably less than 25 projects back when I was doing a variety of wet-formed leather cases.

Thanks.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
Manic Mike, would you be so kind as to load a picture of your modified case ? I am pretty sure my 306 needs that.
Andrew Caddle's site has it. http://andrewcaddle.com/wordpress/si...ndard-needles/
Old 05-19-2015, 06:17 PM

Thank you For the link.... might have to try to locate a "spare" case and give it a shot.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:20 AM

Thank you For the link.... might have to try to locate a "spare" case and give it a shot.
I just modified the one that was in the machine. I'm not so much of a purist that I'll keep something intact that only works with a rare needle. All the BCs for my 206x13 machines (3x319s, 1x320, 1x306, 1x206) have been modified by my OSMG.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I just modified the one that was in the machine.
I do not think you realize the danger that turning me loose with any sort of grinder represents.....
Old 05-20-2015, 09:52 AM

I do not think you realize the danger that turning me loose with any sort of grinder represents.....
I wonder if it's anything like me and a spray can of triflow.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I wonder if it's anything like me and a spray can of triflow.
um if you do that I sure hope you do a tutorial......... do it up right
Old 05-20-2015, 11:58 AM

I am re-installing the automatic unit in the Pfaff 332, as in I removed it completely and am now following the service manual line for line as if I were doing an initial install. The service manual is a bit hard to follow and several times I've had to pause and look things up to figure out what they are talking about. I have a copy of Sincere's book and it helps greatly by naming parts so I can find the things I am supposed to turn or refer to.

I've had to adjust and re-adjust and re-re-adjust those clutch bars but am at a point of testing.

FREE Quilting Newsletter