Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 06-07-2015, 09:36 PM
Power Poster

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/atq/5058298788.html
Old 06-07-2015, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I had a Brother Galaxie 221A here, it had a cracked cam stack. I had another one, similar vintage that I paid $10 for that had a cracked gear but I wanted it for the case. That's when I swore off Brothers of that vintage.
All of mine (except the PE200) run from 1954 through the mid to late 1960's. No plastic inside any of them so far. I did have a VX780 with lots of plastic, it was a real disappointment for being a Brother.

More than once I've bought a $10 or $15 machine, took it out of the case and donated the machine back to the store.

Cari
Old 06-08-2015, 05:40 AM

Wow! Not one there that hadn't had the snot beat out of it!

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
All of mine (except the PE200) run from 1954 through the mid to late 1960's. No plastic inside any of them so far. I did have a VX780 with lots of plastic, it was a real disappointment for being a Brother.

More than once I've bought a $10 or $15 machine, took it out of the case and donated the machine back to the store.

Cari
When I first got into sewing machine repair, I was still using an OSMG for my more challenging stuff. He said if you get into it, stay away from Brother. The gears are almost always broken. He said that he had actually opened new in box machines and found broken gears. That's probably what made my tolerance so low when I found the two. That said, I'm actually one of Brother's certified technicians now, so what does that say about me?

I would have tried to donate that one Brother back but it was a private sale.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:27 AM
Power Poster

The older Brother machines seem to be ok - that era not so hot eh?
Old 06-08-2015, 06:48 AM

Nope. Somewhere in the mid to late sixties they went to nylon or plastic like a lot of others but for some reason - and maybe that's a drawback of our arid climate - whereas you get really badly rusted, we get cracked a lot sooner? - the Brother machines in that late 60s to 70s range moreso than other brands for some reason have all been parters for me because of cracked gears and cam stacks.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Nope. Somewhere in the mid to late sixties they went to nylon or plastic like a lot of others but for some reason - and maybe that's a drawback of our arid climate - whereas you get really badly rusted, we get cracked a lot sooner? - the Brother machines in that late 60s to 70s range moreso than other brands for some reason have all been parters for me because of cracked gears and cam stacks.
I guess I try to stay away from plastic of any kind if I can but some times when you shine a light in there - it is in there It does amaze me how much I can part out a machine though and still have parts... I just have to make sure I am sure it is a parts machine I'm pulling parts off.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:55 AM

I'm often surprised at the machines that do have plastic in them but are well loved machines and people will pay dearly to replace the gears - the Berninas of course, but the Pfaff 1222 as well. I'm sure there are others.

Yeahl, I parted a non-parter by accident once too. Luckily it was not one of my ultra favorites.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

I'm often surprised at the machines that do have plastic in them but are well loved machines and people will pay dearly to replace the gears - the Berninas of course, but the Pfaff 1222 as well. I'm sure there are others.

Yeahl, I parted a non-parter by accident once too. Luckily it was not one of my ultra favorites.
snicker........ some times it is very hard to tell if a machine on my shelf works or not.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:15 AM

If the foot-powered drill comes with them, it might be worth the $195 for all. I guess it could be a sheep-shearing treadle. I’ve been wanting an old treadle dentist drill to rig up a non-electric Dremel Tool, but they usually sell for big dollars.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-08-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
If the foot-powered drill comes with them, it might be worth the $195 for all. I guess it could be a sheep-shearing treadle. I’ve been wanting an old treadle dentist drill to rig up a non-electric Dremel Tool, but they usually sell for big dollars.

CD in Oklahoma
You and me both! before I started keeping an eye out for one I saw two or three for cheap and in good condition. Now I can't find one for less than $170, and most of them are either rust buckets or $4000 and fully restored.

Also would love a treadle/petal lathe and a saw, and a post drill. Few of them made it out to Colorado so they're rare and pricey here.