Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-14-2015, 02:44 PM

Default VS Singer Sphinx

I am about to tackle a Sphinx VS with beautiful decals but with rusted chrome/steel parts.

Does the removal of the needle bar and the bobbin carrier of a VS require re-timing once re-installed?

Also, how long, for starters, do I soak the rusted parts in Evapo-rust? I've read somewhere that the parts can turn black if soaking for too long.....
Old 06-14-2015, 02:55 PM

I soak for about 30 min and if the rust is very bad overnight. They will turn black but just polish them with Brasso or your favorite metal polish and they will be silver bright again. the black is only on the surface of the metal.
Old 06-14-2015, 03:31 PM

Thanks Glenn!

What about the timing issue? I have never dismantled a machine --- and also never read that it could be necessary to re-time them. Maybe it's a dumb question, but I'm a little leery of taking parts off this machine.... though I have to.

I guess those old Singers are actually pretty easy to work with -- so no worries?
Old 06-14-2015, 07:23 PM

I've only taken the needle bar out of a Singer 99. The replacement went right back in with no issues with timing. Look closely. Some machines have marks for setting the height when the machine is in either top or bottom dead center. Yours may have them too.
Rodney
Old 06-15-2015, 07:00 AM

Well I finally got my itty bitty tension screw for my FW on Saturday! My FW is now complete and tuned up and rarin' to go to work, I got the tension all dialed in and did some test sewing and it's all happy. I also got an old blindstitch attachment this weekend and tested that out while I was at it - I actually repaired the hem on a pair of my work pants with it and it worked quite nicely, despite me having to Google how to sew a blind hem first, LOL. They're a lot easier than I'd imagined.

I just can't let the word get out that I actually hemmed something. Shhhhh.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:41 AM
Banned

I got the Domestic Treadle that Cathy gifted Heather & I, back into operational condition! her is a link to a video of it humming along. (Warning, Big file)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y1u86xxfl64xn2/20150612_223438.mp4
Old 06-15-2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
....repaired the hem on a pair of my work pants...
I just can't let the word get out that I actually hemmed something. Shhhhh.
Hemming your work pants may lead to a whole new direction for your interests....

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
....Domestic Treadle....video of it humming along....
There’s just something about the sound of a treadle humming along that I like!

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-15-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Hemming your work pants may lead to a whole new direction for your interests....
Not so far!! Clothing repair doesn't appeal to me at all. Although I'm joining a "sewing club" at work that's full of garment sewers so we'll see what happens...making new clothing might be interesting, but I've never really been interested in fashion.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:24 PM
Banned

I couldn't leave it alone, I just had to clean up the New Home a little bit. All I've done so far is used a baby wipe to get about 1/8" thick layer of dirt/dust off of it then went to sm oil on cotton balls. Big difference already. [ATTACH=CONFIG]522476[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522477[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]522478[/ATTACH]
It's a model C and the decals are in better shape than I thought. Still have a long ways to go until I can try to sew with it. Not much time to play until I get this house sold. Oh and my brother said he would replace the veneer on the top of the cabinet for me. He used to do refinish/repair work on antique furniture for a living so I'd rather he did it than me messing it up.

Cari
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	S5032209.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	522476   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5032232.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	522477   Click image for larger version

Name:	S5032233.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	522478  
Old 06-16-2015, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
....just had to clean up the New Home a little bit....and the decals are in better shape than I thought.... Cari

Wow! Sure couldn’t see all of those decals through the grime! That thing has lots of nice decals. Nice machine.

I got my Singer 301-2 Hand Crank serviced and ready for use yesterday, but I didn’t take a new photo of it cleaned up a bit more. I wound a bobbin on it with the little knob, and didn’t get worn completely out doing it. After adding some parts that someone lost out of the upper tension assembly, it sews great, and I’ll have to say it may be the quietest sewing machine that I own. It doesn’t make a sound when it sews.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine261_11.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	522485  

FREE Quilting Newsletter