Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Preparing fabric for Quilting: a few questions >
  • Preparing fabric for Quilting: a few questions

• Preparing fabric for Quilting: a few questions

Old 06-19-2015, 03:59 AM

Default Preparing fabric for Quilting: a few questions

I used to be a no wash person but recently decided that I wanted to prewash and starch my fabric. I have a couple of questions ( and they may sound really stupid but here goes)
    1. Everything I read said that I should prewash and then dry just to dampness because the dryer will creat wrinkles that are hard to press out. Can I just hang dry and then iron later? Will it be just as hard to get the wrinkles out?

2. When do I add the starch? To the water when it is washing? Do I spray it on later? I remember taking a basic skills class a while ago and really liked the stiff feel of the fabric and my seams were much closer to 1/4 inch.

Thanks in advance for everyones help!

Liz
    Old 06-19-2015, 04:05 AM
    dd

I dry mine dry. It's the heat of the dryer that shrinks the fabric. I spray the starch on after it's dry then iron. So there are no wrinkles anyway.
    Old 06-19-2015, 04:49 AM

I wash and dry (gentle cycle, hot water, hot dryer) and then fold for storage. It is relatively wrinkle free right out of the dryer. I don't iron until I'm ready to cut. If I were a starch user, which I'm not, I wouldn't add it until I was ready to use the fabric. Storing starched fabric draws silverfish in my location.
    Old 06-19-2015, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

I wash in hot water, usually dry completely in the dryer and sometimes (for really big pieces) hang over the banister to dry. I spray with water to get wrinkles out while pressing. I don't starch until I'm ready to cut the fabric.
    Old 06-19-2015, 05:30 AM
    Power Poster

I do as Dunster. It is easier to press if taken out of the dryer slightly damp but I always forget and dry them to bone-ness. I keep a spray bottle at my ironing board and spritz with water as I am ironing. I use starch inconsistently so if I am going to use it, I starch just before cutting. If I am working with big yardage, I may lop off a smaller portion to starch. When starching I spray and let it soak into the fabric before ironing again.
    Old 06-19-2015, 06:01 AM
    Power Poster

I don't pre-wash my fabrics because I live in an apt complex. I use spray starch before I cut from yardage and then sometimes just when I am doing a final pressing before I do trim (I like to oversize) the block. There are various ways of approaching quilting and you have to find what works best for you.
    Old 06-19-2015, 07:32 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    I don't pre-wash my fabrics because I live in an apt complex. I use spray starch before I cut from yardage and then sometimes just when I am doing a final pressing before I do trim (I like to oversize) the block. There are various ways of approaching quilting and you have to find what works best for you.
    You could soak the fabric in buckets, rinse, and dry over a clothes drying rack set in your bath tub or shower.
    Old 06-19-2015, 07:36 AM
    Power Poster

The fabric dries with fewer wrinkles if the dryer is not overloaded.

I have a dryer that lets me set how "done/dry" I want things to be. I do dry similar things in together - towels with towels, lightweights with lightweights, etc.

If drying a really long length of fabric - I check every few minutes and untangle it.

Usually the fabric is not very wrinkled when I take it out of the dryer. I think it's letting it set for hours in a rumpled heap before folding it that puts in the wrinkles.

In general, I also prefer to not add starch or sizing to washed fabric before cutting it.

Exception: When I know the pieces will be very small or have several bias edges.
    Old 06-19-2015, 08:20 AM

every class I have taken on quilting they say it is not necessary to prewash the fabrics are so much better than old days. Most of them do not shrink that much and most do not run.
    Old 06-19-2015, 08:28 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by newbee3
    every class I have taken on quilting they say it is not necessary to prewash the fabrics are so much better than old days. Most of them do not shrink that much and most do not run.
    "Most" should be the operative word in that statement.

I prefer to know that ALL the fabrics I am using in an item will not bleed and will not shrink.