Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Seattle, WA non-quilting questions >

Seattle, WA non-quilting questions

Seattle, WA non-quilting questions

Old 06-25-2015, 01:24 PM

Question Seattle, WA non-quilting questions

My adult daughter and I will be traveling to Seattle in mid July for a weekend medical conference. She requested more time off of work to do a longer weekend and enjoy Seattle!! NOW....she has been there before for 1 month (Army work) and has done a few sights. This visit she'd like to do Orca whale watching and maybe some other things. If you know of some great sights to see and take in....please respond. Or any specials to save some change. Also I'd like to visit a few Row by Row spots to get the license plates and maybe get a new project. HAHA!
Old 06-25-2015, 02:58 PM

Don't miss Pike Place Market or the space needle!
Old 06-25-2015, 03:32 PM

There's so much there, it's hard to choose! Of course PIke's Place and check out the price for going up the Space Needle and the price of a meal...you get a 360 degree view while you eat...as the restaurant rotates while you eat (plan on an hour and a bit more to go outside and peek at the view). If you like art, the art museum is not far from Pike Place. Benaroya Hall is an experience and there are plays that go on...you might Google Seattle events and see what's offered. Have fun!
Old 06-26-2015, 05:33 AM

You don't say how much time you have. I used to live in Seattle and every visit back I take in the Pike Place Market. Always a favorite. There is a quilt shop just South of the market called Underground Quilts. Very small, but interesting. I wasn't a quilter when I lived there, but have found so many shops on my visits. In Ballard you'll find the Quilting Loft whose owner worked at In The Beginning fabrics. Bellevue look for Quiltworks NW. If you get a chance, head North to LaConner and visit the Textile Museum. Also, it is a wonderful town for lunch and a great one day outing. PM me if you have questions or want more info.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

2nd Saturday in July... Sisters Outdoor Quilt Show in nearby Oregon...that's where I would go.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:49 AM

If you have the time and the money, a trip to Tillicum Village that includes dining and observing some of the Native art. I haven't been in downtown Seattle for some years, but believe they still sell tickets right there next to Pike Place Market. Check with the organizers of the medical conference and ask about discounts for anything. My outings usually involved taking visiting family members to Pike Place Market, Northwest Trek, drive up to Paradise at Mt. Rainier. A ride up in the Space Needle to enjoy the viewing deck does not mean you have to eat there. I much preferred eating down near the water. You can also take a ferry to Vashon Island, where I believe I recently read of the re-opening of a quilt shop over there. Google "NW Washington Shop Hop, 2015". As your daughter already knows, getting around in Seattle is not easy. Bring comfortable walking shoes for all the up and downhill walking. I often saw women dressed in beautiful suits or dresses, wearing beat up sneakers and carrying dress shoes in a shoe bag.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:54 AM

If you make the trek to Friday Harbor, you can see the Orcas! You simply must take the ferry to Bremerton, the views are amazing. You can walk onto the ferry since your car won't care if it misses the ride, then ride the round trip (you do have to pay for both crossings) in about two hours! Go to Washingtonstateferries.com to see what is available.

My sister thinks I am nuts, but I love to ride the ferries on the outside in rough weather! She just sits in a booth looking very green! Lol!

Last edited by madamekelly; 06-26-2015 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Hard to choose. I can understand the Orca watching but it is seasonal so be sure it is a good time to go see them. The Space needle is great to visit from the 1960 World's fair. Pike's Place market is always seem to be in the moves. HAVE FUN.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:51 AM

Another idea would be to take the ferry to Bainbridge Island...fun little village..several quilt shops within block of each other and nice places for lunch. To ferry ride over is very nice. My sis and hubby lives in Ballard and they also have a lovely home on Mariner Drive on Bainbridge Island. We can not get enough of the view every time we visit them. Have a great trip

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 06-26-2015, 12:40 PM

My favorite one - day is valet parking (inexpensive) at the foot of the space needle, a short walk to the fabulous Chihuly exhibit, inside, and a garden area as well, then lunch in the space needle. Check on prices, much less if you do it all, must have reservations, especially for Space Needle for lunch. It is connected to the Observation Deck, if you don't want to do the lunch, but you will never forget it! Ask for a window table! Restaurant rotates fully in one hour. The art in the Chihuly exhibit will give you great ideas for color and design. After this, there is an outdoor, free, area that is part of the Seattle Art Museum. Many large sculptures, and worth seeing. Just a short drive, and right above Puget Sound. At the base of the Space Needle is the Experience Music Project, also a fun place, interesting architecture, lots of interactive music experiences. Look online to see the quilt shops doing great row by rows, and bring your phone to find them! These are some of the places I take my out of town friends and relatives.