Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 06-25-2015, 01:34 PM

Hello, I'm Rebecca.I joined this sight a couple days ago when I found it doing google searches on vintage sewing machines. I've been reading this thread and love all the work being done. Though I admit to being a total newbie and much of the jargon sounds like a foreign language. I purchased a sewing machine last week from a thrift store that is going out if business. Paid $1 for this and it runs pretty good. I've cleaned it, oiled it and am not working on trying to fix what's not working right. I'm not done reading the thread so won't comment anymore on it. Just wanted to share a pic and say hello. On Tuesday of next week I am supposed to receive a singer 15-91. I only have a pic that I took with my cell of my computer with the craigslist ad. I can't hardly wait to get it. Though a bit scared it might have some problems for sitting for 15 years. But in the pic looks great. Here's to hoping it is.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523467[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	523477  

Last edited by RebeccaG; 06-25-2015 at 01:54 PM. Reason: duplicate pictures
Old 06-25-2015, 01:36 PM

I'm sorry for all the pics. I kept trying and trying to link and didn't realize they all were linked. It only showed 1 pic in my post before posting.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:09 PM

And here is the one from the thrift store. It's a Viscount.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	523481  
Old 06-25-2015, 02:14 PM

And there is typo in the first post that kind of changed the meaning. I am now working on the things that are wrong with it, is my correct comment.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:57 PM

Welcome aboard Rebecca. If you need help with an old sewing machine, the people here can help! If you need support on wether to buy a machine or not, the people here cen help! If you need someone talk you out of buying a sewing machine, the people here will NOT help!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:03 AM

Ooh, I really like that Viscount, lovely looking machine! Sounds like you got quite an amazing deal on it, too.

Welcome to the madhouse! We like to enable and encourage sewing machine hoarders, err...I mean, collectors and enthusiasts.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the welcome. It is a slippery slope for sure, and I am afraid I have slid right down the rabbit hole. I felt I couldn't lose getting the Viscount. I had been looking for an older machine that would do free motion well. So... I took a chance. It does sew well. But it had a few problems. And I say HAD with much joy. I am not mechanically inclined at all. But thanks to all the information I have found through this group, I have fixed the problem with the needle continuing to move up and down while filling the bobbin. I also fixed the stuck buttons for the feed dog, they wouldn't drop. The stitch length was gear stuff needed some TLC too. All that is fixed now. I just need to find the correct light bulb. I hope it will not need electric help. That scares me. The upper tension knob works, but it looks like they used an incorrect spring for replacement . I have seen lots of kinds, but none that look just like the pic in the manual.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:34 AM

Since the "Sit a Spell" thread isn't loading on my machine (again, happens at least once a year) I started digging and found this. Delightful! As the heat outside rises to the point of chasing me inside, I'll be posting here. Right now I'm enjoying speeding through strips on a Singer 201K.

I have a Davis VF that needs to be mounted for treadling. It came to me repainted with a, now peeling, gorilla finish and a friction wheel motor. Which base will it fit? I have Singer, White, and National to choose from. Not sure how to "fix" that peeling paint. Suggestions welcomed!
Old 06-26-2015, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RebeccaG View Post
Thanks for the welcome. It is a slippery slope for sure, and I am afraid I have slid right down the rabbit hole. I felt I couldn't lose getting the Viscount. I had been looking for an older machine that would do free motion well. So... I took a chance. It does sew well. But it had a few problems. And I say HAD with much joy. I am not mechanically inclined at all. But thanks to all the information I have found through this group, I have fixed the problem with the needle continuing to move up and down while filling the bobbin. I also fixed the stuck buttons for the feed dog, they wouldn't drop. The stitch length was gear stuff needed some TLC too. All that is fixed now. I just need to find the correct light bulb. I hope it will not need electric help. That scares me. The upper tension knob works, but it looks like they used an incorrect spring for replacement . I have seen lots of kinds, but none that look just like the pic in the manual.
I had a machine like that a few years ago. It is a clone of a Singer 15 that has been 'modernized' sew-classic has the tension springs for them. I don't know exactly which clone spring you need though. The springs are funny looking and they need to stick out just the right amount that they don't hit on something.
Here is a link for 15 clones you might enjoy and post a picture:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
Old 06-26-2015, 01:14 PM

Thanks Miriam. Last night I did see that thread. Luv it! I'm not all the way through it yet. Once I catch up I'll post some pics.
The tension spring that's on it now looks very thin. Almost like someone tried to rig up something with wire they had. So, it's not like I can go by it's looks to find the replacement. I wish the manual it came with would have shown all the parts of the tension. But oh well. I might have to buy the ones I think look closest and try them out. Not like it's a big ticket item. Just I can see this nickle and dimeing me into the poor house.
With getting the other singer Tuesday I will probably rehome this. My older daughters bday is July 3rd. She stated she wanted it. Just I know she doesn't have time for sewing. All the luv I have put in it, hate to see it sit in a basement. She deserves to make beautiful things. Yup, I am definitely down the rabbit hole.

FREE Quilting Newsletter