Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice from bag makers please... >

Advice from bag makers please...

Advice from bag makers please...

Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM

you have upholstery/drapery grade fabric...it will be just fine for purse making.
The cording can be singed on the ends, or tie a knot and then hit with fabric glue.
Marge

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
I have come into this interesting fabric, I have no idea what it's called. It looks quilted on the top and it's a very cool looking fabric. On the backside I can see the quilted effect is from lots of threads running selvedge to selvedge. Picture below of the front and back of the fabric.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523529[/ATTACH]

I'm thinking of making simple lined bags with it. I also have a roll of what I think is macrame cord, picture attached. I'm thinking of using this cord for the handles, just inserting it between the top edge where the fabric and lining meet. However in the past I've noticed this cord ravels at the edges. Is there a way to overcome this? It would be super quick and easy to use this as a handle.....Plus I have so much of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]523530[/ATTACH]

Thanks fellow bag makers!
Old 06-27-2015, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the continued advice! My goal is to use "stuff" I already have in the house, like the macrame cord. I don't have any fusible interfacing, that's why you see I didn't use it. I am totally getting away from using the macrame cord for the handles, at least on it's own. As I mentioned, I did braid it. I found that it stretched even then. Using it inside a fabric handle is intriguing. How exactly would I do that? Would I try to insert the cord into a tube of already stitched fabric or would I create the handle around the piece of cord? Thanks again!!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:10 PM

Wow......What great ideas from the members.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:12 PM

I've used this method and looks like the exact type of cording. The tutorial shows a small cord but you can actually use whatever size you want. Just need to adjust the size of your cut fabric.

http://www.patternpile.com/sewing-pa...-cording-foot/

It looks a little tricky but it's really not.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:19 PM
yel

margecam you are right .....i handle that fabric all day long at my other job.....we make chairs and couches lots of this type of fabric .....just saw it in green with red .......and i would do a square knot with the cord if you are set on that ......but i take that fabric cut into 5 " strips and fold like double folded bias tape is when you buy it sew down both side for handles .................... good luck
Old 06-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Thanks for the great tute vicki. Of course I don't have fusible interfacing so I'll have to modify it a bit, but I have some ideas. Those are excellent bag handles, worth some effort in my mind.

Also thanks yel for the suggestion of making my standard handles with the upholstery fabric. I wasn't sure I could do that. I usually iron it into shape and then sew it. I'm sure I can't iron this stuff. So what should I do - pin it??
Old 06-27-2015, 05:36 PM

to me another option would be to cover the cording with fabric. It would not likely stretch then and would not ravel either.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:18 PM

Coming from UK I was wondering if the fabric will alter on a rainy day.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:55 AM

I finished my first bag with this upholstery fabric. It sews real nice!! I like my projects quick and fast so I used the selvedge as the top of the bag - no hemming needed. I found a piece of fabric that I thought looked great for the lining. (Don't tell, I think it was a tablecloth in it's previous life...). It was serged at the edge so no hemming there either. I made the handles in my traditional way using the upholstery fabric as yel suggested. Great!! The fabric was so thick that I didn't even need batting in the handles to make them soft and cushioned. I think I'll be making quite a few bags with this fabric. Thanks for everyone's help!!

Oh, I hand washed a scrap of this fabric. Came out just fine so no worries about rainy days.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523759[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]523760[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bag4.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	523759   Click image for larger version

Name:	bag5.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	205.9 KB
ID:	523760  
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

I like it!!! Did you use your old Kenmore to sew it? Those will go through anything.