Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling your quilts >

Labeling your quilts

Labeling your quilts

Old 06-28-2015, 09:52 AM

I use my computer to make labels. I design them using MS Word and print them on Quick Fuse. You have to be careful when choosing an iron on for your quilts. I find that Quick Fuse is easy to use and will hold up when washed. I also agree about putting additional info inside the binding. I haven't had any quilts stolen. When my house was broken into about 20 years ago, the thieves were more interested in electronics, jewelry and guns. I have heard of others that have had quilts stolen though.
Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM

I label all my quilts, except the charity and QOV quilts. I usually put the name of the quilt, sometimes who it's for, date(s) pieced and quilted, and the type of materials in the quilt (i.e. cotton fabric, wool, cotton, and/or bamboo batting) with washing instructions.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:01 PM

I too label when the quilt is made for someone special. I write on the label with special ink. I do like some of the prior suggestions and may incorporate them in the future.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:10 AM

I am close to finishing my first quilt and plan to label it. I'm still figuring out how I will create the label. I plan to include that the embroidery and applique on the blocks was done by my grandmother; also that I made the quilt. Most likely, I will embroider the information directly on the back of the quilt, or on a fabric that I will hand sew to the back.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535382[/ATTACH]I just finished a quilt with vintage blocks that my grandma made and labeled it. I included the name of the pattern and circa, blocks by my grandma, quilt by me, year finished.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	535381   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	535382  

Last edited by iCreate; 11-10-2015 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Additional photo
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 AM

As all or at least most of my quilts are gifts I usually include their name, a phrase to signify something in their life and the month/year I will be giving it to them along with just my 1st name. As my health limits me from doing lots of quilts per year I may get the top done one year and finally get it quilted the following year so reason why I include the month/year I actually give it to them. For a newborn I'll include their date of birth instead of the month/year I give it to them as they usually get it within a month or two after their birth.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
Only one so far, but I know I should. My husband is all over me about this. He thinks my quilts are "ART" and all artists sign their work, especially if they give or sell it. I Have a new machine that can do a monogram, just haven't experimented with it yet. That is my plan I can at least put my name and the year...
Same here. Mine have the year made and some type of embroidered signature. I don't sign all of them the same way.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:22 AM

80% of the time I used a label that I can print on with a Sharpie marker.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:36 AM

I label my quilts unless they are going to charity. I include the name of the quilt (if I have named it), the name of the person it is for, the date, the location and a picture of me and the person I made it for (if possible). I put all this information into Word putting as many labels on a single page as possible and then print them out on Printed Treasures or some other commercially made printer fabric using an inkjet printer. My Grandmother did not label her quilts and I am going to create labels for the quilts she made so the family understands the story behind the quilt. I think the records are important.