Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 06-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Thanks JeanieG, I definitely have the right one this time. I may go get this one spiral bound at Staples just for ease of setting on the table. I was in the group that did the 50 paper pieced stars and loved it. Though I haven't quilted it yet. It's too much fun starting another one, I love the notebook idea.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:19 PM

I started that group (50 PP Stars) I only did a few, and decided I really do not like PPing that well. LOL I got my last FWQ book spiral bound, and this new one as well. It certainly helps!
Old 06-28-2015, 08:56 PM

OK ladies need some advice, I am new to pp but would be very interested in doing this with you ladies. I have alot of 30 fabric from the WVa shop hop last year that the theme was 30. Do you think someone that is new to pp could do this, with the help of you ladies? I have seen where some are talking about a notebook, and that seems a little confusing to me and the using of glue, I thought pp is where you are the scraps of fabric right to the paper in specific order, thought it was to make things more to the points, and cleaner cuts? Do you think I would be able to learn using this book and signing up for this group? Please advise me as to what you think I definitely would not be defended if you were to say it would be to hard for a beginner.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:53 PM

TPr9258 - Hi Teri Lynn! There is the video below that I used to learn to Paper Piece. I think this person does a great job of explaining how to do it.

However, there are templates (squares, rectangles, triangles) on the CD that you can print out (I use card stock) and use this method to make your blocks. I usually use the templates rather than Paper Piecing. Be sure to make a sample if you use the templates to make sure you are coming up with the correct size blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv2gKMx9CCM
Old 06-29-2015, 04:08 AM

Hi, Terri Lynn. Yes you can do it, even as a beginner as I was in the FWSQ and PC. I have one seeing eye, so I go another step more that you may skip...with the glue dot to hold the fabric in place while I sew the seams. I do recommend the notebook idea to keep everything in one place, easy to access as you progress through the year in making the quilt blocks. And if you do the templates and glue them on light cardboard, the Rubber cement glue is the best for that job. Often used by the yearbook staff in junior and senior high school, because it lets you 'peel' up what you are gluing and put it down again....and does not tear the paper. It is easier to 'know' how to cut each piece to pp, if you have the template and have it punched with a small paper punch on the corners, to know where the seam ought to be. That is very important in Y seams....And Honchey is great in teaching that on this sight. We all learned, but some prefer to skip it and substitute a different block, which is allowed on this trail, because it is your quilt you are making.

I hope you join us and try. I have learned so much from QB folks and have enjoyed it.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:26 AM

Welcome Teri Lynn. This would be a great way to learn pp. Like QNS, I had never pp before the other two FWS quilts we did. Now it's my preferred method of piecing. That's and excellent video Jeanie posted. Also, if you Google Carol Doak's website she has lots of tips. I don't make a notebook or templates for pp; after a few "mistake cuts" you learn pretty much how to estimate cutting fabric for each piece--it's all a matter of what works for you. We're all here to help each other and to learn together--no judging or criticism and no right way or wrong way. I refuse to do Y-seams: life is to short, I'd rather have my appendix removed without anesthesia than do a y-seam. Try some simple patterns from Carol Doak's website to get the "feel" of pp and ask anyone on this ride for help.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:32 AM

Hi, Teri Lynn! Check out the freezer paper method of paper piecing, too. That's the way I do it. You don't sew through the paper. You fold it as you go and sew along the edge of the fold. Twiddletales has a good tutorial for it. QNS, you might like this method, too. You iron the freezer paper to the fabric as you go instead of using glue.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:18 AM

If there are 35 or 50 On the trail, Terri Lynn, there will be about that many ways of doing the same thing or should I say, it gets the same end results, everyone of them the right way for each of us it do it our way. Helpful hints from everyone and that makes it a fun journey.. . as it should be for each one of us.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:38 AM

Terri Lynn, you and I can learn together. I'm new to pp too!
Old 06-29-2015, 07:22 AM

I am also new. we can learn together.