Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brainstorming >

Brainstorming

Brainstorming

Old 07-01-2015, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
My question back is can you quilt 130" square quilt?? I believe that is a bit larger than the frame of most LAQ. I like the way you have eliminated the wide border on the pillow top but recheck your measurement to make sure you measurements are correct. You might do the same quarter compasses in both of the top corners of the quilt. Good Luck
Did I mention that I hand quilt? I anticipate the quilting to take rather longer than the rest of it combined, but aside from the hassles of managing the bulk while quilting in a hoop (no, I don't know of any 130" quilting frames), there isn't really any limit to size. Unless you're counting the thickness of the skin on my fingers!

I figure this is going to be an evening sewing project for so long I might as well give it a name. I'll probably be holding whole conversations with it before I'm done.

Honestly, I'm looking forward to having a long-term project again. And I'll fiddle with the design and see if I like the compass quarters on the pillow top.

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:49 AM

If you leave off the corner blocks the quilt will hang better.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:00 AM

Will be really awesome whatever you decide I'm sure! How about a miniature mariners compass or some type of star in each of the blocks surrounding the first border? Just my opinion, but those blocks need something.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
Will be really awesome whatever you decide I'm sure! How about a miniature mariners compass or some type of star in each of the blocks surrounding the first border? Just my opinion, but those blocks need something.
Those blocks are going to be sampler blocks (I'm just not up for the work of drawing them all out lol), and yes, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making them just star and compass blocks, though I'll do more than just mariner's compasses. My local library has a copy of Jinny Beyer's The Quilter's Album of Patchwork Patterns, and that book has a slew of different compass patterns.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
If you leave off the corner blocks the quilt will hang better.
Sorry, which corner blocks? :?
Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 AM

Many years ago I saw a bedspread quilt, that had been made to fit the bed it was on. Instead of a pillow tuck, the quilter had added a second layer of quilted "fabric" at the head area (approx. 24" x width of quilt) before the binding was done, so that to make the bed, you just pulled the quilt up into place, then lifted the second layer and slide the pillows under it, then smooth it over the pillows, (it extended a couple inches past the pillow edges.) I loved the look and the idea, and some day I will have developed the skill to do the same. What I liked best was the extra layer forms an extra layer of warm at the shoulders as you sleep under it.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 AM

Why couldn't you make your sampler blocks 8" x10" to eliminate that wonky corner issue. There is no rule that says they have to be square. Or you can go with the 8" square and add a narrow strip between each one to use up that space.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I know you want a unified look - but - just for something more to think about

I hate those full size bedspreads/comforters that go to the floor when we stop at a motel. They are heavy and uncomfortable to me. (But that is my opinion on that that.)

How about making a quilted tailored bedskirt with the mariners design - You could make them so they tuck in between the mattresses

Then make the quilt/spread so that it hangs about three inches below the top mattress.

Then have a set of pillows that are always in the pillow shams to make it look "complete" - that you toss off the bed at night. Or you could get - or make - a body type pillow that could go across the bed.

You could still get a lot of the design elements you mentioned in the "set" instead of one big unit.

I prefer a "unified" look - such as the blocks from Jinny Beyer's Moonglow quilt - the blocks are varied, but have a common theme.

Is this something you plan to sleep under? Or is it mostly for show?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:29 AM
Auj

WOW! What a great quilt! I am anxious to see it, and would love to see updates as you go if you are up to that. Here are my thoughts, for what it is worth.

I like Calla's idea of the bow heads and immediately thought of going to Google images to see if you can find something there you could trace.

I also like your idea of sampler blocks and would include all kinds of blocks that would 'tell the story'. If you are telling a story with this quilt, such as a sailor leaving home, sailing away to other lands, etc. I would include a log cabin block and find what I could to interpret the story. You could do repeats of the blocks if you wanted to. I also would keep all the sampler blocks in the same colors as the compass. On the back of the quilt, you can write out the story.

Can you tell I am a quilting librarian!? Just an idea. I'm sure you will come up with exactly what you want.