Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 07-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
...It's before the tensioner so I hope it's not critical. ...
Hope it helps. The feed before the tensioner is almost as important as it is post tension. If there is not a smooth feed to the tension you start to get skips and pulls. The other issue "pre-tension" is that the spool of thread need to be able to rotate smoothly. I have a few machines that do not sew well currently with the thread on the spool pin because they do not feed smoothly. It sticks, then jumps, which has actually made the thread jump out of the tensioner on one machine
Old 07-08-2015, 05:30 PM

Steve,

I have had the thread jump off the spool pin and out of the thread guides, tension discs, etc., and I discovered one cause for it -- which for my machine resolved the problem. The spools of thread have a very small slit to use to catch the thread and keep it from unwinding when the spool is not in use. If you put that spool on in the position where the thread catches on that small slit, the thread will catch, causing it to jump off the spool pin, out of the thread guides and out of the tension discs, or even to break on the topside of the machine. I can say that reversing the direction that the thread spool sits on the spool pin completely resolved that problem for me. My problem is I haven't used that particular machine in so long, I can't remember what direction the spool of thread needs to be turned. I believe the slit needs to be turned to the top of the spool pin, since when the thread is pulled toward the thread guides/tension discs, etc., it catches in the slit if the slit is at the bottom. Just reporting an experience I had with my 328K! But, I suspect the same thing will happen with other machines, those where the thread is fed from a vertical spool pin!

Jeanette
Old 07-08-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Steve,

I have had the thread jump off the spool pin and out of the thread guides, tension discs, etc., and I discovered one cause for it -- which for my machine resolved the problem. The spools of thread have a very small slit to use to catch the thread and keep it from unwinding when the spool is not in use. If you put that spool on in the position where the thread catches on that small slit, the thread will catch, causing it to jump off the spool pin, out of the thread guides and out of the tension discs, or even to break on the topside of the machine. I can say that reversing the direction that the thread spool sits on the spool pin completely resolved that problem for me. My problem is I haven't used that particular machine in so long, I can't remember what direction the spool of thread needs to be turned. I believe the slit needs to be turned to the top of the spool pin, since when the thread is pulled toward the thread guides/tension discs, etc., it catches in the slit if the slit is at the bottom. Just reporting an experience I had with my 328K! But, I suspect the same thing will happen with other machines, those where the thread is fed from a vertical spool pin!

Jeanette
jeanette i have that same issue w any of my vertical spool pin machines when using thread on that tyle of spool. it works ometimes to reverse it on spool, but mostly i just don't buy thread on that type of spool any more. on the ones i have, i use needle nose pliers & break that slit area off. sometimes tskes a little more tweaking to remove snags, but no more problems.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Those darned thread slits are also a problem on horizontal spool pins...even on an external spool holder!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:04 PM

Steve I think the missing thread guide was part of the problem on the Kenmore. The broken top guide doesn't seem to make much difference. The thread is feeding smoothly to the top tension. The thread guide at the needle helped stabilize things but that wasn't the source of the catch either.
I did get the problem fixed but am not sure which part or parts were bad. It was either the hook or the race or both. I had an extra set I put in the machine and the problem with the thread catching is gone. I haven't tried to see if just one or the other is bad or it could just be manufacturing tolerances from one part to the next too.
Rodney
Old 07-09-2015, 07:40 PM

I have my 15-91 singer up and running thanks to a little help from my friends. Here is some of my retouching, but I admit it needs to look better. I need a smaller brush. I need to get some sewing done though, so it will wait for a bit.
Hmmmm upload problems again. I will try from my cell.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524727[/ATTACH] the after of retouching.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	524727  
Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 PM

Pic 2 if retouch. [ATTACH=CONFIG]524729[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]524729[/ATTACH]

Views:	127
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	524729  
Old 07-09-2015, 08:39 PM

Here is before of the word singer
[ATTACH=CONFIG]524730[/ATTACH]

Views:	115
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	524730  

Last edited by RebeccaG; 07-09-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:44 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524731[/ATTACH]
The before of the center. I don't have a close up of the edge before.
I know it's not the best. I think decals would have been better if applied well. Or a thinner bristled brush. It does look a bit like my kids sharpened their gold crayons and had a go of it. Lol

Views:	110
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	524731  

Last edited by RebeccaG; 07-09-2015 at 08:54 PM.

FREE Quilting Newsletter