Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm ready to give up >

I'm ready to give up

I'm ready to give up

Old 07-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Thank goodness there is someone else who gets worse the longer they sew. For awhile I thought it was just me.

Don't give up. If you're having fun then life is good.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:08 AM

I am thinking if your finished squares didn't finish at 1", you probably didn't cut them down to 1 1/2 inches. I would be willing to bet your finished squares are 1/2", right? Gonna be a pretty little blanket, but you got a long way to go. Have fun and don't give up
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by josieh View Post
It seems as though I get worse the longer I sew. I am a senior citizen who was introduced to sewing in the 7th grade. Over the years I have purchased newer fancier machines but the items I make don't always turn out right. I just made a doll blanket. I cut 2 inch squares, and made half square triangles. I cut them down to 1 1/2 inches because I wanted 1 inch squares in the quilt. The squares are all smaller than 1 inch. What did I do wrong? Why doesn't anything turn out right anymore? I'm ready to quit sewing.
For a half-square triangle, add 7/8" to the size you want it to be. If you want a 2" square, add 7/8" to that.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

I got a 1/4" foot with an edge guide for my machine and found out quickly that the fabric alignment feature created a much larger seam. So I got a 1/4" foot without the guide and it is dead-on.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:12 AM

Never give up! Just accept your work as it is. If I only did perfect quilts, I would never have finished even one! In fact, two of my 'best' quilts were a result of gross cutting errors - which meant an immediate change of plans.

Put a border on the doll quilt (if you think it is too small) and finish it up. Whoever it is intended for will love it just because you made it. That is what makes anything we make perfect!
Old 07-09-2015, 11:17 AM

I agree. The 1/4" foot without the guide makes keeping seams straight and the correct width much easier.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:38 AM

Another senior citizen here. It seems like I have to sew every seam twice because I make so many mistakes. Don't give up! I sew on my dining room table and have a forced break during all the holidays because I need the dining room table for meals. I always seem more alert after those breaks.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:33 PM

I 'm another senior citizen and find my cutting is way off. I guess it come from just age. My seam ripper is my best friend. I am at the point of just leaving things as is. The people I give my sewing items will never see the uneven seams.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:44 AM

Don't give up. I am a senior citizen to. Go ahead and make the quilt. The squares may be smaller then one inch but the quilt will be beautiful when it is done.
Old 07-10-2015, 04:40 AM

I sew lots of tiny quilts. There is absolutely NO room for error. A few things that I do to be successful are using 60 wt YLI soft touch thread. It is cotton and incredibly thin. I starch or size my fabric and use a ruler with 1/8 inch markings for accuracy. These things all help me a lot. Press seams open as well.
Don't be too hard on yourself with these tiny ones. I sometimes think that my blocks look great until I start putting them together.....that is MY test of perfection. I still think my crooked, slightly wonky tiny quilts look charming overall.