Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 PM

Ok.... I always accidently type if instead of of, on my cell. I try to catch it, but had such a hard time posting pics that I was just happy they showed up, and sent them on their way with out proof reading. Sorry. Also sorry for the double one.
Does everyone have a hard time uploading pics? I don't with any other sight. Just this one. So I really appreciate the effort others have put in to uploading theirs. It's a nightmare.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:06 PM

I have not had a spot of trouble uploading straight from the iphone. But I had heard about the small file size early and so I crop down ALL the iphone pictures before ever trying to upload them here. They go as attachments.
Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 AM

I don't try to upload from my phone; I use the PC. I re-size and rotate everything ahead of time; that seems to make the difference.

I think your retouch worked great! Until I saw the 'before' pictures I wasn't positive what was original and what was retouched. And now you have a "singer" instead of a "sincer"! LOL
Old 07-10-2015, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I don't try to upload from my phone; I use the PC. I re-size and rotate everything ahead of time; that seems to make the difference.

I think your retouch worked great! Until I saw the 'before' pictures I wasn't positive what was original and what was retouched. And now you have a "singer" instead of a "sincer"! LOL
Thank you. Yea that Sincer really bothered me. Up close though you can tell it is definitely a retouch up. But the best I could do with the brush I had. I would really like to try again with a smaller brush at some point.

I have a new laptop and for the life of me I can't figure out how to upload my cell phone pictures to the laptop. Maybe my phone isn't compatible with it? I don't know. But all my other laptops the pics would automaticly pop up for download when you plugged your phone in. Not this one though.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 AM

It might be a setting? I'm not sure...my phone takes TERRIBLE photos so I don't really use it as a camera. Maybe you can email them to yourself from the phone? That's what I had to do with my iPad (I refuse to use iTunes).
Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 AM

I think you did a great job on the touching up. Far better than I could do. I know I would botch things up so I don't even try.
Rodney
Old 07-10-2015, 05:58 PM

Agree with Rodney: Great job on the touch up!!!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:13 PM

Thanks all for the compliments on the touch up. In person though, it does look worse. But I really think with the right brush it could look better. Maybe later, or maybe my next machine if there is one. I would like there to be. But nothing has come around my path lately. But... I have only looked on craigslist and I find most of those the prices are outrageous for the shape the item is in.
Just kind of am concerned about the fumes of the chemicals and stuff. I could see where a person would really like to have a workshop. My house reeked of a machine shop during this time. I also should probably have worn more protective gear like gloves and face mask. At the moment though, I was so intent on my work I didn't even think about it until later. Then thought...man this can't be healthy and it is a good thing I didn't kill our birds.
But I have truly enjoyed the process. Now to get to sewing. And I am itchy to go with that.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:25 PM

Oo now I see the photos and it is nice retouching work. What size of brush and color of paint did you use?

I have to put in a confession here. I work at a game and hobby shop and painting hobby miniatures is one of our focuses. We have the paints, the glues, the tiny detail brushes, and the painting stations in the giant game room for people to go to and use those paints and brushes. My thought if I ever get a machine that is going to be repainted, I will bring it there and buy my brushes and paint there and set up at a painting station and do the work there with plenty of fresh air all around.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
Oo now I see the photos and it is nice retouching work. What size of brush and color of paint did you use?

I have to put in a confession here. I work at a game and hobby shop and painting hobby miniatures is one of our focuses. We have the paints, the glues, the tiny detail brushes, and the painting stations in the giant game room for people to go to and use those paints and brushes. My thought if I ever get a machine that is going to be repainted, I will bring it there and buy my brushes and paint there and set up at a painting station and do the work there with plenty of fresh air all around.
A paint station some where would be awesome. The brush is a size 0. The paint was in the model section at Hobby Lobby testors metallic gold, which is what was mentioned in the restore thread. I don't know about other machines, and this is my first try at retouching, but the gold doesn't really match. The gold on my machine is a more flat gold/green. But... as my hubby says, you can't make it age. So, if you retouch one letter, you need to retouch all of it to make things match. My picture doesn't show that well.

FREE Quilting Newsletter