Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can this be saved? >

Can this be saved?

Can this be saved?

Old 07-14-2015, 05:13 AM

I have a quilt that makes my cat upchuck on it every single time I have put it on the bed, now the cat is banned when I use that quilt (for a few days). I used oxyclean spray and the stain came out. I used it over and over.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
No do not use peroxide! It damages the cotton fibers in the quilt. Read Leah Days heartbreaking story about her quilt.
http://www.leahday.com/quilttheduchess/

Scroll down a little further than Half way. The part titled "Update - Spring 2012"
Thanks for posting this info. I was told by others to use peroxide to remove stains and the fabric ended up with yellow stains which I now understand were burn marks from the peroxide. Won't be doing that again!
Old 07-14-2015, 06:13 AM

Try nature's miracle, they have a spot remover and something to add to the wash. Not only does it remove stains, but it's an enzymatic cleaner that removes any trace of odor and organic materials.
Old 07-14-2015, 06:45 AM

Give it a good heavy dose of Shout. Let it set about an hour before washing it. Before throwing into dryer make sure stain is completely gone-- if not retreat with Shout.This has worked for me more times than I can count and rarely have I had to treat a stain twice. Once it is stain free it will have been more than clean enough to gift. I don't know about the rest of you but the yukky stuff that continually comes out of babies is far worse then a one time accident of an animal and we wash dry and reuse until they grow out of it.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
If I threw away or discarded anything that got something yucky on it, after five children and lots of pets, I would be in the poor house. Baby blankets often get throw up or worse on them. That's why we have water, soaps, bleaches, sanitizers, etc. If the stain can be successfully removed and it probably can, I would have no hesitation gifting it. Try stain removers on a scrap piece of the same fabric.
I agree. I will bet that soaking with Oxyclean will whip that stain. And by the time the baby throws up and poops on it a few times, there will probably be lots of stains. froggyintexas
Old 07-14-2015, 08:13 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree. No way would I give a gift of a baby quilt or any other for that matter that a pet had any kind of an accident on it. And the stain won't come out? Doesn't matter. Donate it to local animal shelter or keep it for your own. I don't care how many kids or pets you've had. Just wrong. Are you going to tell them the cat had an accident on it. If so check out the recipient's reaction and see if they feel a little or a lot insulted.
Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
This is just my own opinion but I couldn't give a baby quilt to someone knowing the cat threw up/pooped on it even if I got the stain out. I would try some of the above methods and see if it could be saved but I would keep it or use as a wall hanging or something else but not for a baby to lie on. Just my opinion.
Old 07-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
No do not use peroxide! It damages the cotton fibers in the quilt. Read Leah Days heartbreaking story about her quilt.
http://www.leahday.com/quilttheduchess/

Scroll down a little further than Half way. The part titled "Update - Spring 2012"
She also says - Really this was caused for multiple reasons, but one of the biggest is the cotton I used for the front and back of this quilt was quite cheap and low quality backing fabric. That may have had a much to do with it as the peroxide! Also she says she soaked the quilt but not for how long. I just have a feeling she did not actually wash the quilt as it was a show quilt. So in my opinion, using peroxide and then washing the quilt may work, just putting peroxide on it may not.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by gingerd View Post
Could you put a label over where the stain is?
Or something like a butterfly/ladybug/train/ball etc?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal View Post
This is just my own opinion but I couldn't give a baby quilt to someone knowing the cat threw up/pooped on it even if I got the stain out. I would try some of the above methods and see if it could be saved but I would keep it or use as a wall hanging or something else but not for a baby to lie on. Just my opinion.
I'm with you on this one. It drives me crazy when I see someones cat on a quilt to be given away, especially to an infant. Yuck!
Old 07-14-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Genden View Post
If I threw away or discarded anything that got something yucky on it, after five children and lots of pets, I would be in the poor house. Baby blankets often get throw up or worse on them. That's why we have water, soaps, bleaches, sanitizers, etc. If the stain can be successfully removed and it probably can, I would have no hesitation gifting it. Try stain removers on a scrap piece of the same fabric.
Big difference here is that they're your kids and your pets.