Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)? >

Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)?

Any tips for making a Puff Quilt (aka Bisuit Quilt)?

Old 07-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

You gals are awesome. They are all unique and beautiful. Fortunately, I am working with regular old cotton and muslin for the back. Not sure yet what I will back it with. Might use flannel.

Started sewing the little biscuits last night. I pin some and sew some and pin some and......eventually the pile will be gone and I can move on to step 2. This is definitely a project that requires patience. Lucky me I got lots.
Old 07-12-2015, 11:16 AM

don't overstuff. i made a double bed size one. too heavy to sleep under. too big to wash in machine.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:06 PM

FYI- Do not waste money buying a cheap stuffing/wadding, you want one that will not matt or flatten. You want the poofiest you can find. Cheap stuffing/wadding will go flat with use, and become unsightly after a few washings. Instead of fluffy poofs, you will have flattened knobs. Ask me how I learned this....lol!

if you get stuck, just PM me and I will be there for you.[/QUOTE]

I just found this surfing youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwe28kZLv78
This woman has a better, easier way than mine. I started with too small poofs. Her result is what I have been after (but I will use a ruler and rotary cutter). Take a look, but you might want to put your pearls on first though. I'm thinking early television show? Charming.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by misseva View Post
don't overstuff. i made a double bed size one. too heavy to sleep under. too big to wash in machine.
Same problem with DH Queen size quilt. Son (also a John) in Alaska may get it. It has an 'outing' flannel back. (sounded good in my head I guess?)
Old 07-14-2015, 05:32 PM

Oh, YES! My sister-in-law makes baby ones all the time, and they are soooo easy!
Basically, you sew the front to the back at the sides only, leaving the top and bottom open, then turn right sides out.
Press under both top and bottom about a half inch and pin together.
Sew across the center from left to right, then sew vertical seams every 3 to 3 1/2 inches, forming long tubes.
Using a yardstick, stuff a bit of polyfil up into each tube, pressing against the center seam.
Now seal that puff in by sewing across 3 to 3 1/2 inches from the previous seam.
Continue to work your way from the center to the edges.
Sew a very narrow seam to seal off the last row of puffs.
Ta-da!!!
For a baby quilt I usually make it width of fabric square or longer.
It is helpful if you have a fabric that you can follow, like checks
If you want a pieced top, start with 4 inch squares, and you can stitch in the ditch when making the seams.
For a large sized one like my picture, I use 5 inch squares, and make the design 17 x 17 squares (my favorite is around the world), and this lays nicely on a queen sized bed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Savannah's quilt.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	525157  

Last edited by chrisvdh; 07-14-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add picture
Old 07-14-2015, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi

Here is a pic of a puff quilt that I made to put on top of my granddaughters pram. It was really easy. Just used 3.5" and 4"squares. My daughter has been stopped in the street by people asking here where she bought the puff quilt..... She is very happy to tell people it is a "one of a kind - hand made item" - LOL LOL LOL. As long as it is not used in a cot or placed over a young baby, I am sure it would be fine.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]524898[/ATTACH]

Hugs

Caroline
Cute, cute, cute! You used such adorable fabrics. Lucky baby.

Leslie
Old 07-14-2015, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
I came across this link that might help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvrGPpA1Y
Thanks for this, Twinkie. She always explains things so well.

Leslie
Old 07-16-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by PenniF View Post
I used the method shown on the site www.awaitingada.com. It worked wonderfully. I used left over fabric to put a flat quilted border on before the ruffle...one thing....it is really heavy when it's done....more something to lie ON than Under -- which is how my 1 yr old DGD uses hers....Here's that one ....Good luck with yours.[ATTACH=CONFIG]524884[/ATTACH]
This is my favorite, they are all pretty, but I always love the bright and primary colors best, so PenniF, you've inspired me to do one or more of these! I am using the method in the awaitingada website, have 142 biscuits made since the weekend! Has helped relieve my stress tremendously, I fight daily with depression really bad. Went and got the stuffing today, so going to arrange and start stuffing soon! Thanks, needed a break from the hexies!
Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 PM
Power Poster

I haven't had much time to sew at all - a bit of stress at work, but I have about half of my puffs sewn on three sides. Hoping to get some sewing time in this weekend.
Chrisvdh, yours is just lovely. I never thought of turning them like little pillows.
Old 07-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

I am 6 rows into my FIRST AND ONLY puff quilt. 4 to go.