Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Leave it? >
  • Leave it?

• Leave it?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:14 AM

I just did that on an applique project I'm working on. Luckily, it was a flower with several different blue petals. This came up once, and the advice I was given was "You paid for both sides of the fabric. You might as well use both."

And it does work in your quilt.
    Old 07-21-2015, 09:07 AM

I did this once in a quilt in which I surrounded squares of color with white on white fabric....that in fact looks very like yours, except mine was pure white. I realized half way through that some of it was right side up, some not. I didn't rip out a single seam! I considered it a "learning" mistake and today it doesn't bother me at all, even though I have mild OCD.

Only you know whether or not it will haunt you. If not, I'd say leave it alone. If you can't live with it, then rip it out and recut those pieces. By the way, I have some of that swirls on burgundy fabric, too! I think it's a fat quarter. We must shop in the same chain.
    Old 07-21-2015, 12:21 PM

The first quilt I made I picked out a directional white on white fabric. Drove me crazy... instructor said no one would ever notice. I know there are 3 pieces that are printed on the wrong side in the quilt... and I can't identify a single one. Go with it unless you hang around with really bitchy quilt police.
    Old 07-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Leave it. I have purposely used the "wrong side" to mute down a too bright fabric in a scrappy block. Enjoy the process!
    Old 07-21-2015, 03:51 PM

I often use the reverse side of fabrics to give a different tone to my quilts. I would leave it. No-one will ever know, especially if you use the reverse side of the same fabric in some more of your blocks.
    Old 07-21-2015, 04:52 PM
    Power Poster

Since you are working with different light backgrounds, I would not worry about it and just leave it. It may stick out to you, but I promise you nobody else will notice; unless you point it out, so don't worry.
    Old 07-21-2015, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dina
    I would leave it. You paid for both sides of the fabric, and you can use either side you want. I have made several quilts where I intentionally used the "wrong" side because I was looking for "just that color." Besides that, that piece looks fine.

Dina
    I agree -- it will look just fine and no one will be able to find it once the quilt is finished.
    Old 07-21-2015, 06:32 PM

The question is not whether it would drive us crazy, but whether or not it would drive you crazy. If you can leave it and be content, then leave it. If it will drive you crazy, then fix it.
    Old 07-21-2015, 08:11 PM

Well, I still have to disagree. And, yes, someone will notice, I've had it happen. My daughter says,"get over it, mom." I can't after a person pointed out my mistake to me. Just saying ...........
    Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 PM

I have this same problem w/batiks as the wrong side can be difficult to identify especially once the strips are cut. Luckily its so hard to tell which is which and no terribly noticeable- at least not to my eye. After quilting it still looks good.