Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along >

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

The New Farmers Wife '30's Quilt-Along

Old 07-25-2015, 09:16 PM

What kind of sewing machine do you have? Make, model? there re some stores on ebay that sell 1/4" foot w/guide depending on the machine..low shank, slant shank, high shank...

will take a photo tmorrow mrning..I'mgoing to bed now..waaaay past my bedtime...

Last edited by Honchey; 07-25-2015 at 09:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 PM

I find when sewing the sections together that I often sew it first with a large basting stitch, then if it does not line up right it is easy to unsew. If it is correct, I then resew with the 1.5 stitch length.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:47 AM

I have finally cancelled my order for the book. I ordered it on 21st June from a Major UK book store and am fed up waiting for it! I've re-ordered from Amazon with a delivery date between 30 July and 10 August. Fingers' crossed it gets here in time, although I am sure I can catch up if it doesn't. I am keen to get the book and see what the blocks are like.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:48 AM

With Bernina sewing machine, its foot number 37 that gives the 1/4 inch seam. But if you pp, you will get the 1/4 seam regardless of the sewing machine you are using...templates from the book are all marked with a dotted line for a seam line. That is why I copied all the templates off and cut out each one for each block. That I punch holes in the corners where the seams cross one another to mark the seam lines on each piece of the templates. That is the size of scrap I use for each pp unit of the block. It works for me. That block is very good for your first one, I think. Looks better than come of my first ones on the first Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:42 AM

Jeanie.....Why didn't I think of that ! What a great idea! This old dog CAN learn new tricks!!! As I've said so many times before, I can't sew a straight seam...it's either my fingers or my eyes that wobble when doing so...

many of the machines come with a presser foot that will give you a 1/4 inch seam.. the foot with the added guide/flange helps me stay at a 1/4"

not all 1/4" presser feet/guide are the same 1/4"when sewing the seam. if your machine has the option of moving the needle to the left or right in small increments you can adjust it to your preferred 1/4" seam...

Last edited by Honchey; 07-26-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:55 AM

You said that dotted lines are there, I don't have my book yet, also you said "that is a good block to start" but did I miss something I didn't see a block mentioned,

Originally Posted by QuiltingNinaSue View Post
With Bernina sewing machine, its foot number 37 that gives the 1/4 inch seam. But if you pp, you will get the 1/4 seam regardless of the sewing machine you are using...templates from the book are all marked with a dotted line for a seam line. That is why I copied all the templates off and cut out each one for each block. That I punch holes in the corners where the seams cross one another to mark the seam lines on each piece of the templates. That is the size of scrap I use for each pp unit of the block. It works for me. That block is very good for your first one, I think. Looks better than come of my first ones on the first Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:13 AM

you sew on the solid lines and trim to the dotted line...

Nina, I think you got it mixed up..solid line is for sewing...dotted line is fro cutting/trimming...maybe your printer gets it wrong???

Last edited by Honchey; 07-26-2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by TPr9258 View Post
You said that dotted lines are there, I don't have my book yet, also you said "that is a good block to start" but did I miss something I didn't see a block mentioned,
I think she's referring to the block that pam posted several posts ago..
Old 07-26-2015, 12:05 PM

Honchey, right and right in your posting above. Operator error. Sew on solid line; stop where they intercept. Yes, I was referring to Pam's block, giving her high marks on her block she tried.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:43 PM

I redid the block. I think it turned out better this time. Please let me know what you think. Honchey, let me know if I corrected the problem I had in the first one, thanks. This is the block 'Coral'.

Jeanie, I used your tip of trying a basting stitch first and I'm glad I did, I had to take it apart 3 times. Sorry if the picture is a little fuzzy, don't know what's wrong with my camera (or operator) lately.

Thanks everyone, Pam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Coral B.png
Views:	152
Size:	534.5 KB
ID:	526218