Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it ever too hot to quilt? >

Is it ever too hot to quilt?

Is it ever too hot to quilt?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:15 AM

yes, too hot to quilt. Heat index hasn't dropped below 100 in 3 weeks. Got to 112 for a couple of days. My studio is a metal building, A/C isn't keeping up very well, so it gets too hot in the afternoons. I just adjust my schedule. I'm up at 2 a.m., in the studio @ 3-3:30 & quilt til @ 11 or 12. Then I take a nap after lunch.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cindy60545 View Post
yes, too hot to quilt. Heat index hasn't dropped below 100 in 3 weeks. Got to 112 for a couple of days. My studio is a metal building, A/C isn't keeping up very well, so it gets too hot in the afternoons. I just adjust my schedule. I'm up at 2 a.m., in the studio @ 3-3:30 & quilt til @ 11 or 12. Then I take a nap after lunch.
I have a friend in Wills Point. His name is Gary Morgan. Jennifer is my daughter-in-law. I can't imagine getting up at 2:00 to sew. But my husband gets up at 3:00. Happy quilting.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:15 PM

I live in Phoenix and I think everyone has AC. We hibernate in the summer and sew. We enjoy all outdoor stuff in the winter. It is an upside down world here but I love it. This is our 3rd summer here and not as hot as the first 2 were. Very few 112-15 days this year.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I'm just finally starting to get back into quilting after having my right shoulder replaced in May; so I'm thrilled to be able to sew/quilt again without all that pain. I can quilt year round, as long as the electricity is on. LOL. I once hand quilted the very first quilt I made for my daughter; however, I used a hoop on top of my old dinette table; but I had a fan blowing directly on me and under the table, so it wasn't bad at all and my cat Mischief was quite happy to curl up on the quilt and watch me, and he only attacked the needle and thread occasionally.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

I use to live in Southern CA, Huntington Beach and we definitely had central AC in the house even with the ocean breeze. I have a friend that lives in North Dakota and she has AC. I don't know of any state that AC isn't needed to be comfortable sometime in the year.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 PM

I love to hand quilt and I use a Q-Snap floor frame. I move the frame over to the air conditioning vent and sit with the vent blowing on my legs. It make a nice, cool tent. I quilt anytime I want to. It's an addiction.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:14 PM

Living in the desert, you simply make adjustments. Sew or quilt early, take a siesta, and you have the evening to enjoy the family and great outdoors.
Yes, it is too hot to quilt or sew sometimes, because even with AC, I find myself dripping especially when I try to iron. I have always pressed any sewing I do so it is a must. I do very little hand sewing, usually it is a take along project when I have some wait time.
This summer has only had a few hot days, that is over 105 or so. Many a summer we have weeks of 110 to 115.
Fans help and also they tend to blow patterns and fabric everywhere!!
So stay cool everyone, and somehow find time to quilt/sew every day.

Ethel
Old 08-03-2015, 06:55 AM

I live in Central Florida and quilt year 'round. We get warm in the afternoon & just turn on a blower along with the A/C and fan. No problem!!! I just make sure to stay hydrated so I don't have problems. Some of my meds really dry me out! On a cooler day, I love to go out on the deck and quilt where there's usually a nice light breeze.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use to live in Southern CA, Huntington Beach and we definitely had central AC in the house even with the ocean breeze. I have a friend that lives in North Dakota and she has AC. I don't know of any state that AC isn't needed to be comfortable sometime in the year.
Not having AC is fairly common here and, personally, I see no reason to pay for a unit and the electricity to run it just so I can refrigerate myself for those nine days a year (average) when it's over 90 degrees. Fans, open windows, sitting on the deck in the shade, a cold shower, or even going to the LQS all work just fine instead...and all but possibly that last one are much less expensive indeed.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:13 PM

I hope you have a great recovery and get well soon!!