Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Bad quilt shop experiences >
  • Bad quilt shop experiences

• Bad quilt shop experiences

Old 01-15-2010, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
    Have you been to a quilt shop that the clerk follows you around because they just know you are out to rip them off?
    I haven't had that happen at a quilt shop but I did have it happen at a large antique/vintage shop.

The shop was the type where people would rent an area and put up their antiques or vintage items to sell in their own cubicle/area. Each item had the seller's account # on a tag so the store was able to credit the correct seller's account when you had picked out the items you wanted to buy.

This was a large store and it had high shelving so it was very difficult to see from one aisle to another aisle. As I went down the aisle, I would stop at every little knook and cranny to look at things. After awhile, I realized that the person behind me would stop when I stopped and move when I moved. I then realized they work for the store and they were trying to not look obvious to what they were doing.
    It didn't bother me at first. If they wanted to waste their time, that was their problem...but after awhile, I became annoyed. So, after taking over 35 minutes to go down just one aisle, I came to the end of the aisle....stopped...(smiling inside) turned around and said..."oh" (as if I forgot something) and I walked past the person who was following me...and I went all of the way down to the beginning of the same aisle to look at things again..... (the person who was following me just stood stunned at the end of the aise where I had just left and they didn't know how to come back down the aisle to follow me again). I looked at them and laughed to myself. They finally turned and walked away. I went to another aisle to look at more things.
    :lol:

Funny, they never tried to follow me again.
    Old 01-15-2010, 09:38 AM

I just had a bad experience at my local Hancocks. There were two people working. One was on the phone talking about going to court for child support and the other one was in the back. I stood at the register for 10 minutes before they helped me. No use going to management because I think one of them was!! I think i'll stick to Joanns and my LQS.
    Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 AM

Wow! Your quilt certainly does not deserve the Nightmare title! It is gorgeous, and I love the colors. Some people have no sense, no taste, and no couth!
    Old 01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Eddie
    I guess my worst experience was actually with another customer in the store. When I walked into the shop, the woman saw me and clutched her purse to her chest as though she thought I was there to rob the place. I guess being a man made me out of place and a curiosity of sorts.
    Mh, maybe she was so taken with you that she needed to hold on to something or she would lose impulse control. Wouldn't want to make the news now, would you? Headline: Male quilter got more than fabric in the LQS.
    Old 01-15-2010, 11:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Leota
    I told dh and his comment was "and he was the salesman?"
    My question...did you purchase the machine? I think I would've walk out to "think about it" and the buy the machine somewhere else. What kind of support did they offer?
    Actually, I think he was the salesman from the matress department. (I just happened to have a credit card from that department store) The machine ran like a tractor and we went to a dealer instead. This was a loooong time ago.
    Old 01-15-2010, 11:03 AM

I guess my worst experience was actually with another customer in the store. When I walked into the shop, the woman saw me and clutched her purse to her chest as though she thought I was there to rob the place. I guess being a man made me out of place and a curiosity of sorts.
    Eddie - your comment, and that of Henry remind me of John Flynn's stories. Have you ever heard him speak? He tells similar nightmare trips in which he could not get waited on, and everyone kind of "gave him space". He said it was really hard for a man to walk into a quilt shop when he first got started, and sometimes even now.
    Old 01-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by grammatjr
    Eddie - your comment, and that of Henry remind me of John Flynn's stories. Have you ever heard him speak? He tells similar nightmare trips in which he could not get waited on, and everyone kind of "gave him space". He said it was really hard for a man to walk into a quilt shop when he first got started, and sometimes even now.

And I still have nightmares about going to a car mechanic :D Used to get so frustrated and down right MAD when they treated me like I was just a stupid female (well, I was dumb about cars but I was smart enough to know when something was wrong with it. :twisted:
    Old 01-15-2010, 01:18 PM

Marjpf, I wonder if it is our store. I am in the greater LA area and don't use our local shop, they are just rude. When I go there it is because I am desperate. They were on the quilters run.
    Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I have two - First when I go to my usual quilt shops, I am always treated very nicely, but, when my 24 year old daughter (who looks about 16) goes in without me she is snubbed. There was one shop in particular that was the worst offender. So during a Quilters Run (while the shop was very full), I told them why I never shop there anymore. Three other ladies came up and told me they were glad I had spoken up.
    Second story - I bought $53.20 worth of merchandise. I gave the lady $60.20. She started to give me change of $6.80. When I told her I had given her 20 cents, she stood there and practically called me a liar! I did go in again the next week for something and she apologized, but still left a bad taste for that store.
    Your stories?
    Old 01-15-2010, 01:19 PM

I took my beginning quilter class from a nearby shop and the owner was the one that taught that class - a mistake. You very seldom see her smile and doesn't show much enthusiasm. Most of the other employees are nice and helpful, but she isn't. A friend of mine went into that same shop, wanting to get a gift certificate for me for Christmas. She is not a sewer or quilter, she was dressed in her work clothes (painters clothes) and was completely out of her element. On top of that, she got to the shop about 4:45 and they closed at 5pm. All she wanted was a gift certificate. They wouldn't sell her one, because she didn't know what class I might like or what kind of fabric or notions. She was also treated less than kindly because of the way she was dressed (rude comes to mind). My friend described the person to me and it had to be the owner of the shop. They are still in business. Don't like her or her shop. An easy sale lost. Too bad for them!
    Old 01-15-2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by azcatlady
    I took my beginning quilter class from a nearby shop and the owner was the one that taught that class - a mistake. You very seldom see her smile and doesn't show much enthusiasm. Most of the other employees are nice and helpful, but she isn't. A friend of mine went into that same shop, wanting to get a gift certificate for me for Christmas. She is not a sewer or quilter, she was dressed in her work clothes (painters clothes) and was completely out of her element. On top of that, she got to the shop about 4:45 and they closed at 5pm. All she wanted was a gift certificate. They wouldn't sell her one, because she didn't know what class I might like or what kind of fabric or notions. She was also treated less than kindly because of the way she was dressed (rude comes to mind). My friend described the person to me and it had to be the owner of the shop. They are still in business. Don't like her or her shop. An easy sale lost. Too bad for them!
    Unbelievable - they wouldn't even take her money? Guess they are making too much?