Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said.  What's the Elmer's method? >

Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said. What's the Elmer's method?

Basting spray gums up machine, serviceman said. What's the Elmer's method?

Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 AM
Power Poster

I only use the "Advance Search" by clicking on the words in the mint green bar on the right. I myself am a more traditionalist and use pin basting. There have been a few problems posted here but some truly swear by it. I don't wash my quilt after quilting so I doubt it would work for me.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:49 AM

If you let the Elmer's dry completely, it dries "crispy", so it won't gum anything up at all. Just make sure it's dry and you're good to go! I looove basting with Elmer's and can't imagine going back to pins!

I use a folding table to baste on, I start with the backing and glue it in sections then let it sit and dry a few hours (or hurry it with the iron), then flip it over and do the top. Then let it all dry overnight. Next day I can quilt fearlessly - no tucks, no pin-stabs, no damp glue...no worries!

I drizzle my glue on from a height so it's in a thin line. I usually just draw random loops and squiggles. Then I take a wide house-painting brush, get it a little damp, and brush over the glue to flatten it out and spread out any gobs. Works great, goes fast, and easy to clean up afterwards.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:40 AM

I've never had a problem with basting sprays, cheap or expensive ones are all the same to me. Just let them dry over night and you should have no problem.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
I've never had a problem with basting sprays, cheap or expensive ones are all the same to me. Just let them dry over night and you should have no problem.
I use June Tailor--and don't always let it dry... so maybe that's the issue. Thanks.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:49 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...h-t242179.html
Check out this thread. This might work for you. I've used washable glue stick and the washable white glue with no problems. There are many u-tube videos on glue basting.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:12 AM

I've used 505 for many years, at least 15, without any problems, I've also used the Elmer's washable school glue without any problems for at least 2 years from when I first heard about it. I've sewn many quilts, big & small without problems with my machines. I love both methods, if I don't have time to let a quilt dry I use the 505.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:13 AM

Can't add much to the conversation except, be aware of glue globs, just smooth them out with a finger while still wet. Allow all to dry thoroughly. I try to do mine the day before and hang my quilt from the balcony overnight. I even glue baste the quilt I plan on hand quilting. I lap quilt, hoop-less and never have shifting or tucks on the back. Good luck, I think you will like it. And Elmer's Washable School Glue only, the old fashioned kind.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:04 AM

There's not a 505 adhesive seller in my city of over 300,000 so I buy it online. But I've actually been in quilting classes with other quilters trying to use another brand that is available, and literally been the only quilter without gummed up needles. I think your machine guy is all wet. If adhesive spray is causing your machine problems, you're not using it correctly. I spray lightly on the underside of the front and back, not the batting, and never had a problem with adhesive buildup on the needle and certainly never a problem with either my midarm or my DSM while using 505.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

If I'm in a hurry I press the quilt sandwich and it dries the glue fast. I press on top of the layout table or even the floor so the quilt sandwich doesn't have to be moved.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:37 PM

I've done dozens of quilts with spray basting and it didn't gum up my machine. If your service person believes this, it may be a bias on his part because he doesn't understand spray basting, by the time you start to stitch, the glue is dry..not gummy. If you sprayed too close to your machine and got the spray glue inside your machine, then, maybe..but that's still not the fault of the spray glue.