Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Are you a HOARDER or a WASTER? >

Are you a HOARDER or a WASTER?

Are you a HOARDER or a WASTER?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:52 AM

Sewing is so different now. When I was young I made all my own clothes and you purchased thread to match the garment. After that garment was finished, you probably would not need the bobbin with that particular color on it anymore. I remember only having a couple bobbins, but why store a bobbin with thread on it that will probably not be used again. Being a war baby, I was brought up being quite frugal. Now, with quilting, I only use a few colors and have bobbins with each of the colors on them.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:48 AM

Neither. I do not hoard, I collect and I do not waste, but I do strip those old bobbins. In most cases the machines I get have been stored in a garage or a shed and the old thread just holds moisture to the bobbin. I strip them down and check for rust.

On the ones that are repaired and working I will leave whatever I wind to the bobbin because I've checked for rust and the machine is now indoors. Then I have no problem using a bobbin with thread on it because I know it's relatively fresh.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:17 AM

My first sewing machine like 43 years ago had only two bobbins I sewed Barbie doll cloths so yes each bobbin had many layers of color. I then used the next color for another project now I have tons of bobbins but only use white for embroidery or grey for quilting.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:54 AM

I use my own filled at some point bobbins up.
I bought a cabinet last year that came with a machine whose bobbins had from 8 to 11 different colored threads on it. I decided it was just the difference in what the machine was used for, mending...or sewing.

I take it all off and fling it from me. As mentioned it draws moisture, the last thing our metal bobbins need.

You could add it to your ort jar...everyone has one of those, right?
This one is now http://kalamaquilts.blogspot.com/200...e-ort-ort.html 3/4 full and shows clear stratifications from the various hand projects over the years.
Old 08-16-2015, 06:55 AM

*** I have MANY bobbins after MANY yeas of sewing.
*** Sometimes I throw it away if it is a small amount.
*** If a lot I save it for scrappys or hexies...
*** So I guess I am a THRIFTY SAVER.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:06 AM

I don't call myself a hoarder.... I'm a saver. And, I only save things I think I'll use someday. Of course, I think I can use most anything having to do with sewing but, that's okay. I do save wooden spools.... have quite a few of them. And, I think I'll use them at some point. I've seen the most wonderful things made from old spools. One idea I have is to use them as spacers for my handrail to the upstairs sleeping quarters above the garage at the summer cabin. I saw that at a museum in S. Dakota. And, I've seen wooden spools used as feet on sewing boxes, small tables to display knick-knacks, and of course many are used on vintage pin cushions that have long pins for spools. Right now I use the ones that still have thread on them inside my vintage spool cabinets. After all, that's how they were originally used. They decorate my house.

Fun thread..... thanks for bringing it back to life.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:51 AM

Saving Thread? Well, yes, I do "hoard" or "save" thread, up to a point. I am particular about what I save -- i.e., White, Black, Navy and Brown -- the basic colors I used to use on garments. Now, I mostly save the white's, light gray. Several years ago when I was making baby clothing, i.e., baby dresses, with lots of ribbons and lace, I would save those colors, because for most of the dresses I made, I knew I would most likely be making the same pattern/color dress for another baby. It also depends on how much thread is on the bobbin -- does it have just a small amount of thread? or is it 3/4 full? I would not save thread wound on a bobbin 2-3 rounds thick. That thread, I would discard, or remove from the bobbin and put it to use in a different manner! I'm not sure if any of this is making sense -- It's not something I really give a lot of thought to!

Jeanette
Old 08-16-2015, 10:05 AM

I used to save the bobbin thread until I had too many bobbins with colors of thread that I was not likely to use in the near future and I needed a couple of bobbins. It dawned on me, the price of the left over thread was a lot less than new bobbins. And with my learning curve on my embroidery machine it was a good thing I was no longer worried about wasting thread, I wasted a LOT of thread. :-)
Old 08-16-2015, 02:10 PM

I just buy more bobbins.
Old 08-16-2015, 07:56 PM

Well, I'll come back and state that I have more than enough bobbins --- most of my machines use the same class bobbins -- I've got a 328, 201-2, 403A which all use the same class of bobbins. And contrary to the experience some of you have reported, I've had no problems whatsoever with the Singer Class 66 Plastic Bobbins, so I have a plentiful supply. Unless it's a "Singer" brand, though, I would be sceptical about buying the plastic. I have quite a few FW Bobbins, the T & S Bobbins, so I guess I've collected quite a few of all the bobbins my machines need!

Jeanette